Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 1976 Lincoln rear end which had disc brakes. I am going to use after market disc brakes instead of the factory ones. I need to narrow the housing. By using the after market brake kit, will there be a difference in the overall width measurement to consider before narrowing the housing?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hey classic, it sounds like you have been to the salvage yard. This is what I did, I found a 12 bolt and had an old drag racer fab man narrow it for me, new axels, c clip eliminators, welded on new tube end hubs. He bought for me the big bearing ford hub with the 3.5 x 2.375 bolt pattern. If you do a little research on line you can find places that will sell you just the brackets and then you can do a conversion to an aftermarket setup.

I just ordered some brackets from Oldedays, they are a sponser here. They indicate on their sight which rotors and calipers you can use for this setup. I think this is the most economical way to build the disc rear brakes. You can buy the pieces individually for about 350, or buy a kit for around 750, I just didn't want to spend that much.

I have searched "big bearing Ford rear disc brake conversion" and their is alot to read.

Good luck
Gil

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
"will there be a difference in the overall width measurement to consider before narrowing the housing?"

From the brakes themselves, not really.

What you need to pay attention to is the offset from the axle bearing to the outside of the axle flange. Ford 9" axles and brakes can have two different dimensions here - 2.36" and 2.50". You need to buy brakes and axles that match up to one of those offsets. And there's a slight difference (a little over 1/4") in wheel surface to wheel suface mounting width if the axle housing width is constant.

·
Registered
865 Posts
9 inch Ford rear end info

I had my Ford 9 inch narrowed at Dutchman Motorsports in Portland, Or.
http://www.dutchmanaxles.com

I know Todd pretty well and his shop have been experts for several decades. Best to buy from the best.

You will find their pricing on line and very reasonable !! I discussed disc brakes in the rear with Todd,, But with the 4 piston Wilwood already up front, I passed and stuck with drums.

You will need to know the exact brake manufacturer and the exact calipers that you will be using prior to the shortening of the axles. I purchased new alloy axles rather than shortening the old Fords. You can have your axles shortened, but you will need to provide Dutchmans with your current axle and housing length and the final "narrowed" width.

Dutchamns can provide the disc calipers and required hardware. My front end setup, control arms, R&P steering, hubs and so on were all purchased from Dutchmans and EVERYTHING fit perfectly the first time and still works beautifully!!

I would also strongly recomend that if you do install Disc calipers on the rear, they should match the front calipers, ie manufacturer etc.. Todd can set you up with all of the rear end components.

Check out his '57 Convertable on Utube !! It is the best '57 I've seen in many years.

Good Luck !!

Michael
Cypher Engineering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.