Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you ask, yes I did it some how. I saved all my important info and pics on one HD and wanted to do a clean reinstall of xp on this computer. Well it didn't go the way it was suppose to and installed xp on both HDs.

Long story short, I am looking for a free program to retrieve my NTSF files that are still hidding there. I don't have the extra money to buy a program right now, but the demos do show my files are still there.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
When you reinstalled xp to a new drive, the trick was to use delete all files and partitions on both drives, it detected probably some hidden os files on the old drive and loaded the os on both drives.

click on the drive that has hidden files - example e drive
next click on e drive then from the top menu select tools = folder options
= select view and then enable the option to see hidden files or folders.

Next I would copy all the files to a cdrom disc.

after all files are saved then I would reinstall xp but the important thing is when it shows both the disc during initial setup make sure you delete all partions including the little 8 meg partitions that is where the os files are hidden , when all partitions are deleted turn off your computer and then unplug the spare drive, then do the setup again with only one drive in the pc, that way the os will completely install on the one drive, later after everything installed plug the old drive in.

you do not need any special program if you use the tools with xp.

hope this helps
otis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts