Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I had a screw fall down on the carpet in the front floor so I took out the ashtray to look behind it and heard something rattling in the ashtray...never took it out before (had the car three years)..guess it was stuck to some gunk...cleaned it up and lo and behold its a 57 penny! Hope it was there from when the car was new. So - what to do with it? Framed it in a shadowbox with a photo of Belle and caption? Mount it on a wood base with caption and put it on trophy shelf....put it in a photo frame with caption?
Ideas....???

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Take it to a coin collector shop & see if they would have a way to mount it... Later, Dave

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. 265 ....not a bad idea...!

Maybe that way it'll always be with the car & me....lucky 57 penny...will insure Belle will never break down...right? :sign0020:

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
put it in a coin bezel, can then hang it anywhere. if you drill a hole, it will ruin it's value ($.05). cool find. :tu

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Whats a one and five cent down under
These coins are USA (one & five cent stamped 1957)
The one cent coin is brown & the five cent coin is silver.

Our Aussie currency phased out one, two cent coins as well as one, two dollar bills, we also converted from paper based notes to plastic notes :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am a long time numismatist, since I was 9 years old, and now almost 66 years old. A 1957 U.S. Cent, not penny as the U.S. has never made pennies, in perfect condition is worth about 30 cents, and about 5 cents in circulated condition.

You can purchase a square plastic holder made by Capital Plastics that has a white or black piece sandwiched between two clear pieces. Other type holders are called Air-Tites and area snap together holders. Any coin shop should have them.

If I were going to put any coins in my 57 for display, it would either be misc 1957 change on an open glove box door, or a 1957 proof set in a Capital Plastics holder. Proof sets are specially minted coins that are very bright and high detail. A 1957 proof set will run you around $30.00. A 1957 mint set, not as bright and shiny, will run you about $285.00 as they only made 34,324.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could be from the original owner. Used to do that for good luck when you bought a new car.

I would just put it back in the ash tray. You don't want some bad JUJU headed your way.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think its an orginal....from when the first owner bought the car as it just wasnt in the ash tray but stuck under the a lot of crud and very, very blackened tarnished. I cleaned it off and then read the date. I like the idea of a bezel around it then put it on my 57 keychain. I dont want to buy a set of 57 coins Ronnie (thanks for the input) because I just want this one I found and if I put it on the keychain - it'll always be in the key hanging from the ignition. Thanks for the many ideas ...keep em coming...how about inbedding it in my suicide Brody knob that is an ivory antique doornob on the steering wheel? Wouldnt know how to go about doing that...anybody know?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Did you find it heads up? Being a bit on the superstitious side, I never pick up a penny that is head's down as it's bad luck.

I used to have a fake penny (or cent piece, whatever) that had had the upper part of a naked and well endowed woman with the caption "Head's Up, You Win!", and on the other side was the same woman's shapely posterior with the caption "Tail's Up, You Still Win".

1 - 20 of 44 Posts