Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to pass along some information. We recently added a car to our auto insurance and ran into a problem in that their billing dept. sent us a statement with an overcharge (over $100).

I called their billing dept. Spent over an hour on the phone with them. Never could get them straightened out. Called our agent...... He couldn't help. Said he understood the billing dept. was overcharging us and suggested we send them only what we actually owed them and possibly the billing dept. would get their act together. I did so and also enclosed a letter explaining what the correct billing should be, hence the amount tendered.

Well...... They didn't get their act together. Instead, they sent me a statement with the overcharge added and had the gall to add a $10 'late charge' along with a notice on pink stationary stating that unless we paid the overcharge...... And the 'late charge'...... Our policy would be cancelled as of noon, 15 August.

Fine by me. We researched several other companies and got quotes. Finally decided to go with this company......

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon?redirectjsp=true

They are based in San Antonio and provide insurance to active duty military personnel, veterans and their families. Very reasonable rates. Our monthly insurance bill dropped from $222 with our former insurance carrier to $142 per month. That is with liability coverage for 3 vehicles and full comprehensive coverage on my wife's new 2013 VW Passat in addition to increasing our Personal Injury Protection from $10,000 to $50,000 per occupant at my request.

They gave me a good rate on my '57 (classified her as 'stored'), as she is garaged now and not being driven whilst I rebuild the mechanicals, but I want to keep the old girl registered as an antique car ($80 for 5 years registration here in Texas) and carry liability insurance on her in case I need to test drive her or take her to have a professional do the paint and body work later on (a man has to know his limitations..... I turn wrenches...... I have no talent for paint and body work).

Once she is roadworthy and being driven regularly, I can have them modify her status to reflect that. They also have comprehensive coverage based on actual appraised value for restored cars if ever I reach that point.

Anyway...... If you are currently in military service, are a veteran or have a member of your family who is...... And are considering getting a quote on insurance at some point, I highly recommend that you check this company out (no, I don't get anything for 'referrals').

Best regards to all,

Harry

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they only insure Veterans?
Will, as I understand it...... They write policies for active duty military and for veterans...... And their families.

If you have a brother or sister or mother or father or spouse who is either serving in the military currently or is a veteran, they will write you a policy.

They probably include reservists and national guard, as well.

You can check with them to see what other relations they count.

* My Dad was a Marine Corps veteran.

* My Step-dad was a Navy veteran.

* I served in the Marine Corps, the Navy and the Naval Reserves (SeaBees).

* Two of my Sons served (one in the Marine Corps and one in the Navy).

* My Grandson is currently serving in the Army.

So I could have qualified under any of those. And my eldest Son who didn't serve in the military could qualify, as well.

The best thing to do if you are not a veteran or currently serving and have questions regarding what relationship to a veteran or someone currently serving in the military they will write a policy for is to visit their website......

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insurance_main_page?adid=icgsch51406865-VQ16-c&akredirect=true

Or give them a call at......

(210) 531-8722 if you are in San Antonio

Or toll free at (800) 531-8722

They cover their phones 24 / 7 and they are based in San Antonio, so once you get a warm body on the phone, you won't be talking to someone in India.

Hope this helps,

Harry

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
thanks for info harry and thanks for your service too. :flag6:

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Carl...... And thank you for your service to our country as well.

When you get old, its funny how your mind works. I see you were in the Army. Did y'all have junk on the bunk inspections Stateside like we did?

Hated those. In addition to our uniforms in our footlockers or wall lockers, we had to lay out our helmet and cover, M14, bayonet and scabbard, 20 round mags, mess gear, 782 gear and all that stuff in addition to the accompanying personnel inspection and barracks inspection.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather go on a 20 mile hike toting an M60 than deal with a junk on the bunk.

No idea what made me think of that after all these years...... Just wondering if y'all had them too.

Best regards,

Harry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts