Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd pass along a "find" regarding a battery charger and maintainer I found for my Optima AGM battery. I bought this little jewel at a local battery specialty store. They are also available at Amazon.

What is impressive for me is the fact this thing has some pretty nice technology with an AGM specific mode... http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're saying all the right things.

Have you purchased it already?
Yes I did. Paid $69 locally. I noticed Amazon has it for $59. As you can see from their website, there are several models, this one appeared to me to be a good "middle of the line" unit. So, I mounted it on the wall behind the 55, used their jump-cable system since the battery is in the trunk. Plugged it all in, set it to AGM mode and let it work. Took several hours to reach "100%" (according to the LED on the machine).. now it will just maintain the charge.:tu

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yes I did. Paid $69 locally. I noticed Amazon has it for $59. As you can see from their website, there are several models, this one appeared to me to be a good "middle of the line" unit. So, I mounted it on the wall behind the 55, used their jump-cable system since the battery is in the trunk. Plugged it all in, set it to AGM mode and let it work. Took several hours to reach "100%" (according to the LED on the machine).. now it will just maintain the charge.:tu
Do you have to raise your trunk to connect or do you have the plug running out of a access hole?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Looks like as great product. I recently bought an optima red top for my 57
John Deere which gets used sparingly at some times and I was not aware anyone had one which would accomodate 6V. Probably will buy one.

Thanks for the Info!!

Ken 57bowtie-trifive

G

·
I have a friend that is a long term Optima dealer, and offers this testing procedure for the Optima batteries.

Use the correct charger, as noted above, and when testing is needed, do a full load test, and record the result.

Then, leave the battery charger off the battery for a full 24 hours, batterry disconnected from the cables n the vehicle, and do the load test over again.

BOTH tests should record results within 2.0 percent of each other. If you get a larger differing result on the second test, the battery is on its way out, just a matter of time.

He sells a fair amount of Optima's, and finds over 15 percent defective from the factory. He does this testing procedure on all new Optima batteries in is stock, BEFORE he sells them, and has done so for about the last 5 years or so.

I tried more than a few of these Optima's over the years, and have gone back to a sealed lead acid battery, to avoid the Optima problems.

Just info to consider.

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
Thing is, lead/acid batteries will do the same unless they are charged correctly also.

It's my opinion that this type of charger, if you need trickle charging maintenance due to storage, is a good plan for any battery in this type of situation.

I still think that the AGM batteries have their place.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
If anyone is interested....the company, Genius Battery Chargers, is having a decent sale. A fair amount off, and standard shipping is free>>>>

http://www.geniuschargers.com/shop?&ADV=LS&siteID=6eGzQFhJG10-RbdHuwQVIGJStuC7oKDfUw

I picked up a couple.
I looked at the site and didn't see anything on sale.
I ordered one within minutes of reading 55 Mikes post from Amazon.$59.95 w/free shipping and it arrived the next day. Its charging a battery right now. I can't believe how small it is.I borrowed a very old one from a friend a coupla months ago.It had a metal case,was about 15" long and weighed about 5 pounds.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Sorry, it ended Saturday night. The 7200 was down to 96.00 and the 3500 was at 56.00. I just happened to see it the other day when I was looking at them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thought I'd pass along a "find" regarding a battery charger and maintainer I found for my Optima AGM battery. I bought this little jewel at a local battery specialty store. They are also available at Amazon.

What is impressive for me is the fact this thing has some pretty nice technology with an AGM specific mode... http://www.geniuschargers.com/G3500

Purchased one on Amazon, thanks for the heads up, will see if it changes my opinion on Optima batteries, as I posted in another thread. But so far, seems like a good charger.:p3:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I just received the chargers I ordered. They look like a good product. I got a 3500 and a 7200. The 7200 has a 16V setting that is for sulfation issues. The 3500 says something about the sulfation but the 7200 has a specialized function for the issue. They seem to work as advertised and look to be a good solidly built product.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts