Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is normal or not. When I put a floor jack under the door of my 57 bel air and jack it up, I see a crack open up in the door of about 1/8 inch. I have inspected the frame, no rust, no cracks and I see no modifications. The frame seems to be light weight, maybe 1/8" thick. I was wondering if I need to weld a piece of 3/16' plate on the inside of it. This thing is flimsey.

It may be OK, Its lasted 53 years.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I don't know if this is normal or not. When I put a floor jack under the door of my 57 bel air and jack it up, I see a crack open up in the door of about 1/8 inch. I have inspected the frame, no rust, no cracks and I see no modifications. The frame seems to be light weight, maybe 1/8" thick. I was wondering if I need to weld a piece of 3/16' plate on the inside of it. This thing is flimsey.

It may be OK, Its lasted 53 years.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hi John, yes its normal for there to be some flex in the frames of these cars..there are somethings you can do to minimize it..welded in rear shock crossmember.. a rear transmission crossmember ..urethane body mounts. i did them all and also a ART MORRISON tribar rear suspension with the additional crossmember with exhaust passages through it and it stiffend up the frame substantially:)

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
That's pretty normal.

The things that Mike talked about won't help what you saw. Though they might help other things.

Personally, it's not my favorite place to put a jack or jack stand.

I usually use the front crossmember for jacking. It's a good idea to put a wood or metal block or plate between the jack and crossmember so that the jack doesn't dent the middle of the crossmember. Then put your jackstands under the lower control arms, or if you need the suspension to hang down, put the jackstands under the frame rail but as far forward as is safe and secure.

In the back, I use a floor jack under the axle housing. Then jack stands are placed under the frame rails near the front eye of the spring, or under the housing itself. You can jack under the spring eye too, but make sure the load is spread out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. I noticed that when the car is at rest on all 4 wheels, the passenger side door is a little too tight. I may can put a spacer under the body at that point. I probably need to replace all the body spacers. This was not a frame off rebuild, but the frame looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John, yes its normal for there to be some flex in the frames of these cars..there are somethings you can do to minimize it..welded in rear shock crossmember.. a rear transmission crossmember ..urethane body mounts. i did them all and also a ART MORRISON tribar rear suspension with the additional crossmember with exhaust passages through it and it stiffend up the frame substantially:)

Its good to know it is not going to fall apart. I think the 2 door HT models are probably weaker than the post models. These frames leave a lot to be desired. I'll go to work on these issues.
thanks

·
12,256 Posts
That's pretty normal. The frame is only .095" thick and it has very little torsional resistance. It flexes longintudinally as well.

The best way to stiffen it up is to use a crossmember like the Morrison piece.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I noticed this problem on my '57 when I had it on jack stands and opened the door... then couldn't get the door closed until I put the car back on all four wheels. I asked the same question on this site. Yep... now I set my jack stands under the control arms and diff. If I have to set them under the frame I make sure I DON"T open the doors!!!!.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
body flex

back in the sixties I worked part time at a gas station, When you put a Mustang on the lift to change oil a kinds of gaps opened up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts