Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.so has anyone used the bracket Cpp sells for mounting the mc and booster on the frame? http://www.classicperform.com/Store2/Brakes/5557FMB.htm

After changing my mind for the third time about how I want to do the mc,I now
want to put it under the floor. My concerns are,will it interfere with my headers[patriot full length], and where to mount the remote reservoir,I have a CPP mc with built in proportioning valve already. I also have a 7 inch booster I can use, or maybe stay with manual brakes. If any one has done this any and all input would be appreciated.I searched around on Cpp site for instructions for the mount but couldn`t find any info. If some one has any pictures I would appreciate it.Thanks.

·
Premium Member
50,776 Posts
I've seen this done on rat rods and early model Fords & Chevys but a Tri-5. I'll be interested in seeing this done. My MC is the only thing left on my firewall. :anim_25:
:gba:bowtie-trifive

·
Administrator
48,399 Posts
My concerns are,will it interfere with my headers[patriot full length],
Unless it is mounted on the outside of the frame i`d say yes, it will interfere with the headers. That area is very tight on space already.
Terry

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Greg
Your 57 firewall looks great!
I'm wanting to clean the booster off my firewall.
How did you make the pedal offset work?
Thanks
Jarhead

·
Trifive Newsletter Editor
2,521 Posts
Did you ever find out if this type of system would work for you? I have thought about it too but have not found any pictures of the set up on a stock frame.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Greg
Your 57 firewall looks great!
I'm wanting to clean the booster off my firewall.
How did you make the pedal offset work?
Thanks
Jarhead
Follow the links to his pictures, he's got some good photos of the brake linkage he fabricated. It's ingenious and I hope to do the same on mine.

Bryan

·
Registered
246 Posts
I tried to do this on my 57, but after trying 2 or 3 different ones, I scrapped the idea. Exhaust problems was one of my hangups. I moved my master cylinder
over to the opposite side of the hood hinge, under the fender.

You should make a kit for this master cylinder relocation with the bar and template on where to drill the holes...I'd buy it! It gets rid of the last ugly component on the firewall.

Bryan

·
2,521 Posts
The original post is asking about a 55 and I am asking about a 56. I was hoping to find out about the frame mounted kit the OP linked to.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
You should make a kit for this master cylinder relocation with the bar and template on where to drill the holes...I'd buy it! It gets rid of the last ugly component on the firewall.

Bryan
Yes this is one real slick looking idea :congrats::congrats::tu:tu

·
2,521 Posts
So are any members running this set up? I sent CPP an email and they sent me the link to their mounting instructions. The instructions give me an idea of the installation but I am also looking for how far down below the frame rail the MC would be exposed. I am hoping only slightly but would like a picture if anyone has one on their trifive so I could see exhaust clearance too.

http://www.classicperform.com/Instructions/PDF/5557UPB.pdf

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
A few years ago there was a under floor master set up for 55/57 Chevys that came with a new pedal that had to come up through the floor, can't remember if it was Yogi's or someone else that sold it, then it was abruptly taken off the market for some unknown reason.

·
2,521 Posts
A few years ago there was a under floor master set up for 55/57 Chevys that came with a new pedal that had to come up through the floor, can't remember if it was Yogi's or someone else that sold it, then it was abruptly taken off the market for some unknown reason.
The CPP (and others) kits do have the pedal through the floor and I feel it would clean up my firewall nice on the wagon build. If I can do it without exhaust issues and clearance problems I would like to try it. I already have a low stance and would like to keep the exhaust I already have so I can always do a shiny MC back up top if I have to.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
most often i see them mounted in the dash with the brackets from Kugel, looks good I just wouldn't want to service it down the road.

·
2,521 Posts
most often i see them mounted in the dash with the brackets from Kugel, looks good I just wouldn't want to service it down the road.
I agree with the service and access for underdash mounts. I have seen some with firewall reservoirs but that defeats the purpose for me.

The frame access is the most economical route if I can find some information on the forum. It sounds like though this route is not very practical.

·
Registered
55 Posts
master cylinder

Guys anyone ever looked into using a slave cylinder to operate a remote located master cylinder (trunk). I saw this thread and thought I'd throw it out and maybe someone else can think it over, it may work or not.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
The frame configuration is about the same for all three years. I did the CPP under the floor booster on my 46 truck, very close to the exhaust and not much room at all . If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't do it.

Joe bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tried to do this on my 57, but after trying 2 or 3 different ones, I scrapped the idea. Exhaust problems was one of my hangups. I moved my master cylinder
over to the opposite side of the hood hinge, under the fender.

Greg, I am putting a twin turbo SBC in my '55 and I LOVE how you moved your master cylinder over. How has that worked for you? What would you have done differently if you had to do it again? I too plan to run a hyrdroboost.

Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts