Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Good People,

I'm somewhat of a newby at parts of the restoration process. To this point, I've simply done upgrades not requiring separation of body from chassis. On that note, and in the interest of the budget-minded among us (and who isn't these days) What is the method you use to accomplish the above: SEPARATE BODY/BED/FRONTEND FROM CHASSIS/FRAME
Randy, rwhit57 offered that he simply used four or five STRONG gents and brute muscle. Definitely could be the least expensive, if no one ended up with a broken back. I'd prefer to be in more control where as you can move things slowly without damaging anything or anyone in the process. Keep in mind that we all don't have hydraulic lifts at our disposal.

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
I removed the body from my 57 2dr sedan with an A-frame and chain hoist on one end and a cherry picker on the other end. If your is a pickup the cab should be easy to remove with an A-frame once you remove the front fenders.
Terry

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I remove mine by simply using five floor jacks , blocks of wood and jccking the body up, rolling the from out (which took sometime to get around jacks with the extra floor jack) and then using stands I made for the body to rest on...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I removed my body from the frame with a couple of floor jacks and a cherry picker (engine hoist).

·
Registered
127 Posts
I took the body off the frame with a piece of 2'' tubeing stuck through the firewall frame mounts lifted by a engine lift and the rear of the body lifted with a hydralic bumper jack.I then extended 4 large stands to hold the body up high enough to roll the frame out, just take time to do it safely.:tu

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
roblfish PM'd me and I suggested he make a thread with this question. I also mentioned another way , Jack up the entire car/truck, once the body is loose block it up and then lower the frame out from underneath it. You might have to remove the rearend to slide the frame out but it should work fine. Plus you could do this by yourself, just take your time and make sure everything is secure and safe.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
There's a hundred ways to do this - they all work - use what you have.

Key thing is to go slow, be safe, and watch what's going on to avoid damage. If you see a problem stop and fix it.

I used a floor jacket and engine hoist on the initial removal. I've had the body back on the frame a couple of times for mockups and clearance checks. The setup I use for that is a cherry picker type engine hoist in the rear and a comealong hung from above on the front. Some of these times I've done this by myself. Not hard if you plan and stay calm.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The front end is easy just undo the 8 bolts, two at core support two at top of fender to cab lower fender to cab bolts and inner fender to cab bolts then lift off. Easiest with two people. As far as cab, I slid mine off to the side then walked it off the chassis as I was the only person there and it did wrinkle up the rocker panel alittle. The bed can be slid back enough to take it apart one piece at a time. Caution that cab is a widow maker.
Ed

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used an engine hoist hooked to the rear body mount holes and a come along ( hooked to my glu-lam)hooked to one of the hood hinge holes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that's what ya' call resourcefulness! ...and I agree, cheating.) Hydraulics are great aren't they?
I have removed the frontend, with the aforementioned "cherry picker" lift, as a unit including the radiator. That worked very well. Did the same with the bed, which worked out even easier than the frontend. When it came time to lift the cab, (and of course gutting it out first, removing the mount bolts and steering) it was looking fine, until after I sat it on stands. The drip rails(gutters for lack of the correct term) had deflected down, flattened against the roof.
There must be a method of lifting without putting that much pressure on the roof. I used nylon strap (4" width) completely around the cab. If I had it to do again, I'd support those "gutters" with a small piece of one inch plywood.
I appreciate all those suggestions and look forward to hearing anything further. The SAFETY thing, of course, is paramount, and the "work slowly" is very wise.
Wish I had a forklift. That looks fabulous, except that I'd be afraid of bending something, either the roof or somewhere else, especially with the doors not there to support things. Roblfish

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
You might review this post also

Hello Good People,

I'm somewhat of a newby at parts of the restoration process. To this point, I've simply done upgrades not requiring separation of body from chassis. On that note, and in the interest of the budget-minded among us (and who isn't these days) What is the method you use to accomplish the above: SEPARATE BODY/BED/FRONTEND FROM CHASSIS/FRAME
Randy, rwhit57 offered that he simply used four or five STRONG gents and brute muscle. Definitely could be the least expensive, if no one ended up with a broken back. I'd prefer to be in more control where as you can move things slowly without damaging anything or anyone in the process. Keep in mind that we all don't have hydraulic lifts at our disposal.
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48607

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
On my '55 I used heavy duty camper tripod jacks that fitted under the rocker panels in front of the rear wheelwells. Obiously it only works if the rockers aren't rusted out. It's nice because you can raise the body evenly just by cranking the handles. Some areas have rental tool companies where you can rent 'em.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh heck yes. I have no idea how I survived life until I got my forklift! handiest tool I have at my farm/nursery.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Exactly how..

roblfish PM'd me and I suggested he make a thread with this question. I also mentioned another way , Jack up the entire car/truck, once the body is loose block it up and then lower the frame out from underneath it. You might have to remove the rearend to slide the frame out but it should work fine. Plus you could do this by yourself, just take your time and make sure everything is secure and safe.
I do mine. [Been off 3 times, and always done by myself.]:party0031:

·
Registered
31 Posts
How I remove body and install

I mounted a powered hoist to the ceiling of my shop. Then attached a heavy strap around the bottom of the body around the top at the "A" pillar,(door mount support). Then I did the same at the "B" pillar(door latch area) a couple inches back on the forward quarter panel. At the top where the straps meet I attached them to a standard "engine leveler" and hoisted it up. You will need a couple of people to keep it level, not a lot of muscle just movement.

I have seen people do this on tri-fives with an engine hoist(cherry picker), that they just extended the arm and the legs as not have to much weight forward.

Like posted above there are many ways just make sure the are safe.

I will add that I made some door area supports for lifting and wile on the rotisserie just to make sure things stayed in check.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
I enjoyed looking and reading about how to make the separation.....really didn't realize there were so many different ways. :congrats:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Neccessity is the mother of all inventions. What a great bunch of ways to do the same job. :congrats::congrats::tu

1 - 20 of 20 Posts