Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem on the front brakes now! The passenger side went smoothly. But I ran into a huge problem on the driver side. The anchor which holds the wheel cylinder on and the return springs was stuck! I tried everything. Impact wrench wouldn't budge it. I ended up getting my ratchet on there and a huge breaker bar and it twisted it off and is broken inside the steering knuckle. How can I get it out? I was that one part away from getting brakes back and driving the car again. Now I'm stuck for awhile. Any advice? Thanks!

John

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
You'll need to drill a hole in it and use a bolt extractor. You'll probably also need to use a torch to heat up the spindle. It's going to be a lot of work even at that. The easiest way out may be to replace the spindle. Since a lot of guys buy dropped spindles, stock spindles are pretty easy to come by at a reasonable price.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts
John.....Rick has some great advice as usual.....However, I'm at a loss understanding why you were trying to remove the anchor pin in the first place :confused0006:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick and Pops! I was replacing the wheel cylinders and the front ones are held on by that part. So frustrating because the passenger side went so smoothly. It seems like the previous owner used an impact wrench and cross threaded this one.

Sooo... I'm new to this. In replacing the spindle, does that mean I will need to get a spring compressor and compress the spring? Is there any way to replace the spindle without having to do that?

Thanks again!

John

·
Registered
911 Posts
You should have been able to replace the cylinders without removing that stud. There are two small bolts in the back of the cylinder and you also have to remove the brake line. You are correct on the spindle replacement but why not just drill it out and use heat. You should be able to get it out by drilling. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Sooo... I'm new to this. In replacing the spindle, does that mean I will need to get a spring compressor and compress the spring? Is there any way to replace the spindle without having to do that?
A spring compressor is helpful but not absolutely necessary.

You can use a floor jack under the lower control arm, a pickle fork on the outer tie rod end, and a BFH to separate the steering knuckle from the ball joints. The weight of the car will compress the spring enough to R&R the steering knuckle. This method will only work on a fully assembled (heavy) car. On a car with the engine out there won’t be enough weight to compress the spring with a floor jack. Don’t remove the shock as it will keep the spring from flying out and hurting you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 3-tri fives and Farm boy. Maybe my wheel cylinders are different? The rear cylinders were held on by two bolts like you said, but my front cylinders were held on by that anchor pin. Don't know, maybe mine are different or something...

Farm Boy, so if I do the jack method, is it relatively safe? Does it keep the spring compressed enough that it will go back together easily? I've never done this and don't want to get killed! :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys!

·
Premium Member
16,155 Posts
You should have been able to replace the cylinders without removing that stud. There are two small bolts in the back of the cylinder and you also have to remove the brake line. You are correct on the spindle replacement but why not just drill it out and use heat. You should be able to get it out by drilling. Good luck!
When doing the wheel cylinders on the front the studs absolutely have to come out. That is what holds the cylinder on in the front. If you look at a front cylinder you will see a casting coming off the top side with a big hole in it. The rears are a different story and have the two small bolts holding them.

-Bruce

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,747 Posts
When doing the wheel cylinders on the front the studs absolutely have to come out. That is what holds the cylinder on in the front. If you look at a front cylinder you will see a casting coming off the top side with a big hole in it. The rears are a different story and have the two small bolts holding them.-Bruce
I had forgotten about that also Bruce.....Good advice from Farmboy. :tu

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oops, you are right Bruce. As soon as I read your post I remembered. Sorry about that! Be very careful if you decide to change spindles. I like to put a cable or chain through the spring and around the frame. That way if something slips the spring won't come flying out. Farm Boy is right though that you should be able to use a floor jack. Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome thanks guys! So if I have the jack stand under the lower control arm, I can just start taking it apart? I won't touch that shock absorber... Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts