Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something I'm missing in order to get a front bumper on my 56 to line up even and flat on both bumper ends? I've tried spacing out the top of the front bracket but I still can't seem to get it the way it's supposed to be. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
I have to wonder if the bumper end is bent and/or twisted.

I don't see how the normal shimming or elongating of holes can help much.

·
Registered
66,326 Posts
the bumper on my 56 is the same way. wonder if thats normal? :confused0006:

Attachments

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
865 Posts
That end bracket should pull it up. I like the nose to point down ward kinda like a scooped spoiler look. But most i see are tilted back and up. Mine i had to tweak the two center brackets. where they bolt to the bumper to get it to pull down in the front and up in the back. Some times you just need to bend brackets. And tweak the bumper some. Metal has a memory. Mine is still in primer so i didnt cringe to much when i scratched it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think you will find that most all 55 and 56 cars the front bumper is tilted up a little. I was at a car show and my friend and I watched as the 55 and 56s came in. All if them where the same , including mine . When I got home I took out the front bolts in the frame horns and elongated the holes . Sets nice now . Don

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
These cars came with bumper jacks, and if you jack in the wrong place it's going to try to push the bumper end up. On the other hand the way the bumper is shaped on a 55-56 with the long side tilted back, if you run into something it pushes the bumper down. So no wonder you see both problems.

Straightening the braces can go a long way to making it all fit again. Especially the diagonal brace. But the brace at the frame can be twisted too (and fixed).

Another problem is the bumper end can be twisted, but you can't tell if it's just that piece in front of you. You won't see it until you try to install it. I got an exchange bumper end that was that way. Looked perfect until it went on the car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Back in the day. it was common to push other cars (like your buddies) with your Tri five. After all you had those big bumper guards. Right?:sign0020: I'd say your bumper just needs a little twist to realign the ends. I have done this on every tri five I've owned. As well as a multitude of customer cars over the years. You should not need to elongate the holes. if the bumper ends are too low then the main brackets are bent back too far at the top. It's always best do this before the bumper is replated. but it can and often times is done any time with good sucess. I can post some pictures of how this is done.

·
Registered
36,146 Posts
These cars came with bumper jacks, and if you jack in the wrong place it's going to try to push the bumper end up. On the other hand the way the bumper is shaped on a 55-56 with the long side tilted back, if you run into something it pushes the bumper down. So no wonder you see both problems.

Straightening the braces can go a long way to making it all fit again. Especially the diagonal brace.

Another problem is the bumper end can be twisted, but you can't tell if it's just that piece in front of you. You won't see it until you try to install it. I got an exchange bumper end that was that way. Looked perfect until it went on the car.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Back in the day. it was common to push other cars (like your buddies) with your Tri five. After all you had those big bumper guards. Right?:sign0020: I'd say your bumper just needs a little twist to realign the ends. I have done this on every tri five I've owned. As well as a multitude of customer cars over the years. You should not need to elongate the holes. if the bumper ends are too low then the main brackets are bent back too far at the top. It's always best do this before the bumper is replated. but it can and often times is done any time with good sucess. I can post some pictures of how this is done.

Yeah..Thats the problem i had with the two center brackets. I ground the rivets down to get the brackets off. And install a new center section of the bumper. Someone thought it was agood idea to pull the car. At one time with a chain around the center section. I dont have to tell you what that did to the bumper and brackets.:hammer:

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rick your idea about the center and bracing brackets is something I'm doing right now. They look like they need a little work. And yes I think this was a push/pull car, in it's former drag car life it had a 396 in it with a blower and tons of steel under it to keep the tires on the ground. The traction bars were homemade and weighed a ton.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts