Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions that I wanted to ask before I dive into my winter project. Yes, it is already getting cold enough here to think about parking the 55 for the winter.

First, what I plan on doing this winter is replacing all the rubber in the front (ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, etc..) and I also plan on adding side motor mounts.

So, knowing what my projects for the winter are my questions are as follows:

First, would it be easier (access wise) for me to remove the whole front clip? (hood, inner and outer front fenders, etc..)

Second, if the sensus is that removing the front clip would make this process easier, are there any major items/issues that I should be concerned about while doing this removal?

Thanks for your input guys,

Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
Yes....It would be easier.....I believe there are only something like 12 bolts holding the front end on.....Then you have the wiring harness to contend with.... Which can be a pain, since it doesn't disconnect at the firewall.

Of course, if you get the front clip off, then you'll be tempted to start cleaning, painting, upgrading other things, etc :eek: Could turn into more of a project than you want.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dave.

Actually my front clip wiring harness does actual come apart just at the firewall. It is easy to undo.

Anything else?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes....It would be easier.....I believe there are only something like 12 bolts holding the front end on.....Then you have the wiring harness to contend with.... Which can be a pain, since it doesn't disconnect at the firewall.

Of course, if you get the front clip off, then you'll be tempted to start cleaning, painting, upgrading other things, etc :eek: Could turn into more of a project than you want.

Ditto Ditto Ditto
Unless you just love to be a contortionist trying to get around everything from over and under or leaning over fenders--easiest way to go is removal. But you are going to find all kinds of "additional" projects when you do. Be sure to take lots of pictures and notes, unless you have a photographic memory.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The picture thing and notes is a great idea. I keep forgetting to do that and now I look back and wish I had documented more of the work that I have done.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
495 Posts
The picture thing and notes is a great idea. I keep forgetting to do that and now I look back and wish I had documented more of the work that I have done.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave

I learned the HARD way. You know-when you have all these extra parts when you think you're done...:anim_63:

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts

Thanks,

Dave
This is going to be a challenge for me.I wish that whomever took the front end off had taken pictures & included them in the sale of the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is going to be a challenge for me.I wish that whomever took the front end off had taken pictures & included them in the sale of the car.
wurd.
I picked up a basket case too and they guy was real good about keeping all the screws and stuff but it sat for so long the marker faded off!
so i have these neatly packed away hardware with no idea where it all goes.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have been using the search section to find a step by step process of removing the front clip but I can't seem to find one even though I am sure it's right in front of me. Can someone please send me a link on a write up with step by step instructions on removing the front clip? Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts