Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that I installed to heavy of a spring in the front. I used Moog 656 springs from advance it was the only ones they offered and after getting them installed then found out they make a lighter version. Will I have to stiff of a ride with the 55 4dr sedan 235 and powerglide or should I put the lighter springs in?

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
I think that I installed to heavy of a spring in the front. I used Moog 656 springs from advance it was the only ones they offered and after getting them installed then found out they make a lighter version. Will I have to stiff of a ride with the 55 4dr sedan 235 and powerglide or should I put the lighter springs in?

You may get by with 656 as the PG will add weight.

Check Fit: Moog Coil Spring Set
This part is an Exact fit for your 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air

Front; Convertible; Constant Rate Springs; w/o Powerglide; w/o A/C
Front; Convertible; w/o Powerglide; w/o A/C; Constant Rate Springs; 1 Required
Front; Coupe; Constant Rate Springs; Sport Coupe; w/o A/C
Front; Coupe; Sport Coupe; w/o A/C; Constant Rate Springs; 1 Required
Front; Wagon; Constant Rate Springs; w/o Powerglide; w/o A/C
Front; Wagon; w/o Powerglide; w/o A/C; Constant Rate Springs; 1 Required

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Springs

First thing to do is look at the upper a arm bumper, if it is squashed almost flat like mine were do something, mine is a v-8 car. So I cut one full coil from them and now have about one inch of clearance.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah thats what I figured and the answer I wasnt looking for. The only reason I thought I needed new springs was on the passenger side there was a single block installed and i assumed it was sagging. Its a bare frame now and I never removed the block with teh weight of the car to see if it was sagging. I measured the original springs at the cuts end to end at 16 3/4". It was the same for both sides. Does anyone know what the free height was supposed to be? Im really thinking its my best interest to put the originals back in. I last drove it 14 yrs ago and I remember how very well the fat old girl rode.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I did that once in the earlu 90s. The springs were so stiff the front end did not even move. I

1 - 6 of 6 Posts