Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again with this issue of front disc brakes. I want to know if the heidts 2" drop spindle will work with the stock control arms of a 57 chevy or do I have to replace the stock control arms. I haven't ordered anything yet until I know what works with what. If this setup works I'm good to go. thanks.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
They'll work with the stock control arms just fine. But if you want more positive caster, you should consider replacing the uppers with aftermarket pieces. The lowers don't matter nearly as much, if at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They'll work with the stock control arms just fine. But if you want more positive caster, you should consider replacing the uppers with aftermarket pieces. The lowers don't matter nearly as much, if at all.
Thanks, hutchenc, for the quick response. If what you say is correct, this is my plan: the ECI brake kit ( EC-735CK ), cross drilled rotors, calipers and 11" rotors, and heidts 2" spindles. I will consider the upper control arm. I have the 605 steering box and I will see if it works out. I just don't want to do any grinding to make things work.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I think that's a good kit. You can upgrade the rotors to 13 inchers for another $100 which would be worth it if you're planning to run 17" wheels or larger.

I'd do the upper control arms with more caster especially with a 605 box...it'll return to center better and provide a little more steering resistance. The 605 doesn't have a great road feel (not much feedback...kind of like driving my grandpas old 1984 Lincoln Towncar) in my opinion and aftermarket uppers would help a bit. If you don't like the feel of the 605 box, the 500 box is a solid upgrade and an easy swap.

CPP makes stock looking aftermarket uppers with 5 extra degrees of caster built in for a good price. I'd replace the ball joints they come with with some Howes tall ball joints.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I think that's a good kit. You can upgrade the rotors to 13 inchers for another $100 which would be worth it if you're planning to run 17" wheels or larger.

I'd do the upper control arms with more caster especially with a 605 box...it'll return to center better and provide a little more steering resistance. The 605 doesn't have a great road feel (not much feedback...kind of like driving my grandpas old 1984 Lincoln Towncar) in my opinion and aftermarket uppers would help a bit. If you don't like the feel of the 605 box, the 500 box is a solid upgrade and an easy swap.

CPP makes stock looking aftermarket uppers with 5 extra degrees of caster built in for a good price. I'd replace the ball joints they come with with some Howes tall ball joints.
x2

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
7,748 Posts

They don't come with the tall Howes ball joints, that is another part to put onto the new control arms and well worth the cost and little trouble while it's all apart.
To the OP, the upgraded +5 caster control arms require no modifications to make things fit and they look factory. (probably the best part CPP has ever made) A good deal of positive caster, the .9" tall howe ball joints, and a anti sway bar are the best upgrades you can do to a tri five without replacing the entire front end, and well worth the little cost and effort making the car handle immensely better than stock.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all that responded. I called heidts and I was told that I could not use the stock control arms with their drop spindle, that I had to get their control arms. I will call CPP and see if their control arms will work with heidts spindle. I suppose that if I want better disc brakes, I will have to change the control arms. I will continue searching and taking into account what you guys have suggested. I am certainly glad that I have an understanding wife. I met her when I had my first 57. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36,526 Posts
What's been discussed doesn't require changing the control arms to make things fit. What you heard from Heidts is not true, or else they didn't explain it correctly. But you will find that getting the extra caster is well worth the money. If you use the stock looking CPP control arms with the extra caster, that's a really cheap way to do that.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Thanks to all that responded. I called heidts and I was told that I could not use the stock control arms with their drop spindle, that I had to get their control arms. I will call CPP and see if their control arms will work with heidts spindle. I suppose that if I want better disc brakes, I will have to change the control arms. I will continue searching and taking into account what you guys have suggested. I am certainly glad that I have an understanding wife. I met her when I had my first 57. Thanks again.

They list two different spindles, the one that says for Wilwood brakes is probably the one that you need to spend more for their arms. The SP 102 B will fit stock arms and is used for that kit you mention
You're better off going on ebay and buying the heidts look alikes for $150 instead of paying them $500 for a pair of spindles

·
Registered
36,526 Posts
The difference in the Heidts spindle part numbers is what caliper bracket that's included with the p/n. The one listed for Wilwood brakes doesn't come with caliper brackets so that's the right one for the ECI kit. There is no difference in the spindle itself.

Wow their prices have gone up!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rick_L and Slim, I am not looking at the CPP stock control arms, but rather, their tubular control arms and Slim, I don't want look alike heidts, but components that are well made and heidts 2" drop spindles are well known. I have eliminated the ECI kit. Right now I am looking at CPP's complete package: tubular control arms, 2" drop spindles, 11 or 12 inch rotors and large GM calipers with brackets( maybe look alike heidts, but from CPP instead of ebay ) , unless there is another vender that has a complete package like the one I mentioned. Thanks for your input. Its appreciated.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Thanks Rick_L and Slim, I am not looking at the CPP stock control arms, but rather, their tubular control arms and Slim, I don't want look alike heidts, but components that are well made and heidts 2" drop spindles are well known. I have eliminated the ECI kit. Right now I am looking at CPP's complete package: tubular control arms, 2" drop spindles, 11 or 12 inch rotors and large GM calipers with brackets( maybe look alike heidts, but from CPP instead of ebay ) , unless there is another vender that has a complete package like the one I mentioned. Thanks for your input. Its appreciated.
The ECI kit is a good kit...not sure why you eliminated it. If you want 13" brakes, it's a very good option.

Now, having said that, the 12" kit from CPP is, IMO, the best bang for the buck, if it's still available It's a tad over $400 for drop spindles and much better brakes. It uses 2" drop spindles and 1988-1992 F-body 1LE brakes (D52 calipers/pads, 11.8" rotors, and stock bearings/races...actually, everything can be replaced at the local hardware store) and they will fit under 15" Rally wheels btw.
It will push your wheels out 5/8" per side though...on a lowered car that could be a problem, but if you're not slamming it in the weeds, it might be just fine. I ran mine with 15x8's up front with coil overs...no problem, but I did have to raise the coil-overs an inch or so to keep my tires from rubber on my fenders at full lock. If you buy that kit, I'd replace the pads it comes with with something better (better being even a cheap $30 set of pads from a local parts store)...I had problems with them pulling on one side. Changed the pads out with some cheap Advanced Auto semi-metallics and everything was fine. Those brakes were better than the 12.2" Wilwoods (on Heidt's spindles I replaced them with btw).

You should be able to use that kit (spindles etc) with CPP's control arms (tubular or stock style). In fact, when I had the 12" CPP kit on my car, I used it with Heidts uppers/lowers and then with Global West uppers/lowers too when I switched to coil-overs.

CPP does offer a set of 2" drop spindles that work with C5/6 Corvette hubs/calipers/rotors. C5 Spindles I'm not sure if they're actually available though. If they are and you are willing to run 17"+ wheels, that's the way to go. You can source all the C5/6 stuff locally or on ebay and you'll have some kick ass brakes. I have C6 stuff on my '56 now and the stopping power is phenomenal.

Just a word to the wise...I wouldn't buy a "package" from any vendor, especially CPP. You'll be better off listening to the advice from members on this forum. CPP has had some big problems with some of their products in the past and most of us have been there, done that.

Whatever control you use, I would add the Howe tall ball joints to the uppers. It'll be worth the money. There's a thread pinned at the top of this forum abut them. Here's the link: Howe Tall Ball Joints

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hutchenc, thanks for all the info you have given me. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, but I haven't been on the computer until now.. I am staying with the 15 wheels. So, which 2" drop spindle /brake kit would you recommend with the CPP tubular a-arms with the Howe tall ball joints. Or, whats another option? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The 12" kit with 2" drop spindles from CPP I linked to in my last post for a little over $400 is a great kit if you don't plan to slam your car into the weeds or get too crazy on brake rotor sizes. I think there's a kit that East Coast Chevy makes with 2" drop spindles and 11.2" brakes that others have used as well...someone will chime in there, but I don't have any experience with it. I think the ECI 11" kit is a good deal with the Heidts 2" drop spindles as well, but is a bit more money than the CPP kit. Honestly, the CPP 12" kit is pretty stout and for the money, it's a good deal. I did have problems with the pads supplied with the kit as mentioned in my previous post, but that's a $30 fix if it affects you.

Here is a picture of my '56 with the CPP 12" brake kit on the front (but with 17" wheels). In this picture the rear was almost as low as the front...the leafs out back were just too low. I had to raise the front to keep those wheels from hitting the fenders...they were 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 tires. It's a little deceiving without the front bumper...the front is pretty low in that picture though.

https://flic.kr/p/dXjErf
If you want to use 15" wheels, the 12" kit from CPP is as big as you're gonna be able to go and as I said, it did fit under my 15x8" 0 offset Rally wheels on my '56. You can use that kit with probably just about any control arms and the Howe tall ball joints. For the money, the CPP stock looking control arms are a good deal. Nothing wrong with the CPP tubular ones of course, but they're twice as much money and I doubt they deliver twice as much performance. For that kind of coin, I'd probably look at the Ridetech control arms. Global West makes some nice stuff too, but the uppers will possibly interfere with the steering box. Out side of them, you're looking at Heidts control arms (which are also solid, but pricey).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome looking 56. I had one back in the early 60s when I was a Jr in high school, my very first car, had it for two years. My dad sold it when I left to the military. He felt bad that when I got back, he bought me a 57 chevy and I have owned one ever since. Anyway your 56 is awesome. Well, hutchenc, thanks alot for your input. Since I will not go larger that 15 inch wheels I will consider CPPs control arms with tall upper ball joints from Howe ( how tall ? ), CPP drop spindle brake component kit, which will work with their 2" modular drop spindle with bracket. I will call CPP and see if this will work for me. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts