Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm fairly new here but I'll probably be back alot. I'm getting ready to restore my 1956 Chevy 4 Door Sedan. I did it once in 1986 but wasn't happy with the paint and left all the chrome the way it was. This time around will be a repaint with as much new chrome as I can afford and some drivetrain and suspension work.
My question is: Will the conversion to front disc brakes and keeping my rear drums work with my existing Treadle-Vac Power brake booster ? I have to get it repaired or exchanged for another but if at all possible I'd like to retain the original look.
Thanks in advance to all who answer. :flag6:
Travis

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
It is a conversational piece and works great with 4 way drum. Treadle-vac will not work with disc brakes. The brake pedal assembly has an incorrect pedal ratio. Thats why im going with manual disc brakes and change pedal assembly and removed perfect treadle-vac because kids want to start driving the car. So safety is first. It was tough to get rid of it. I also like that og look.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a conversational piece and works great with 4 way drum. Treadle-vac will not work with disc brakes. The brake pedal assembly has an incorrect pedal ratio. Thats why im going with manual disc brakes and change pedal assembly and removed perfect treadle-vac because kids want to start driving the car. So safety is first. It was tough to get rid of it. I also like that og look.
Thanks for the reply Fun56Chevy. So I guess my next question would then be; Should I just stay with the 4 drums and get the treadle vac rebuilt or replaced with the same or go with the disc and drum and newer boosters offered. I like the looks and keeping it stock but I also want to be safe. The last time we drove it I started over a hill that ended in a T Intersection and my pedal went to the floor. I got it home and parked it ( didn't have any extra money to fix the treadle vac ). That was probably over ten years ago. Now that I'm preparing to fix it again, is the treadle vac worth the risk or do they perform O.K. after being properly fixed? Thanks again. Travis

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
Safe is not Tredle Vac....You can not divide it into a dual reservoir, split system arrangement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Safe is not Tredle Vac....You can not divide it into a dual reservoir split system arrangement.
Hey 557B210.
Thanks for the reply.
So if I decided just to leave my car the way it is ( 4 Drums ), and rebuilt the brakes and replaced the Treadle Vac with a rebuilt unit, it still wouldn't be safe?

Are there known problems with these that I should just go with a newer booster?
I guess once I replace it with a rebuilt unit it's not really the original anyway but I just like the looks of it for some reason.

It's still safety first since I plan on making some 3 hours drives one way in it so if it means losing the stock booster then that's what has to happen.
Travis

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,898 Posts
Travis....To me the Tredle Vac is a very cool looking old unit.....I had one in mine that worked really well....However, safety won out for me....Converted it to a power disc/drum system with a dual reservoir and a split system.

If you lose a brake line or wheel cylinder with a single system, you will lose all brake fluid and will have no brakes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Travis....To me the Tredle Vac is a very cool looking old unit.....I had one in mine that worked really well....However, safety won out for me....Converted it to a power disc/drum system with a dual reservoir and a split system.

If you lose a brake line or wheel cylinder with a single system, you will lose all brake fluid and will have no brakes.
Hey again 557B210,
I probably will end up going that direction myself. Like I said, once I have to buy a rebuilt unit it's not really the original anyway so it's safety for me.
Thanks alot for the advice.
Travis

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Placement of replacement power booster

Hey again 557B210,

I have a follow-up question about replacing my Treadle Vac Unit with a new power booster setup. I've noticed at all the car shows I've been at that the newer power booster units are mounted in a different position on the firewall than where the Treadle Vac Unit is. Is this just something that has to be done with any newer boosters or will they bolt on where the old Treadle Vac Unit is now ? I can see it might be a tight fit for the bigger units as the Treadle Vac is really close to the hood hinge. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I'm getting ready to buy the Right Stuff Conversion kit and I'd like to know what I might be getting into.

Thanks,

Travis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts