Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bled my brakes and adjusted them numerous times and they still pull hard right when I apply the brakes. The wheel cylinders were rebuilt and looked good, so I am wondering what the issue is ? ANY IDEAS ???
I would like to get my car to the strip one day for a couple runs and times but I am afraid to hit the brakes at 90 or 100 mile an hour they way they are now !

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check into both of those. The springs were brand new but maybe it is sticking. I did also notice that there was probably a small leak at the copper washer, would that cause it too ? The hoses are old, looked in good but I will have my son press the pedal and I will see if the hose expands. Thanks !

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I did also notice that there was probably a small leak at the copper washer, would that cause it too ?
Copper washer?
If any fluid is getting on the shoes, it will pull.

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
You wont be able to see the hose problem, it happens internally. If they are old I would replace them anyways. Especially going down the track with 4way drums.

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
If you are confident that all four wheels have had the drums adjusted, you have correct fluid, hoses are not collapsed, cyclinders are operating, shoes in correct order, bleed in correct order, springs not over stretched and adjusters in correct location.

If its pulling to the right then the lhs isnt operating, either readjust or look at that side more

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything looks good, installed correct but I think I found the problem. Slowly pushed pedal with the drum off and only the rear piston is moving in the left front wheel. They were clean and rebuilt from scratch so I don't know why it isn't moving. Will know soon !

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Everything looks good, installed correct but I think I found the problem. Slowly pushed pedal with the drum off and only the rear piston is moving in the left front wheel. They were clean and rebuilt from scratch so I don't know why it isn't moving. Will know soon !
That doesn't necessairly mean much. The piston with least resistance will move untill it's stoped by the drum, then the other piston will catch up and apply the same pressure to both shoes. Glazed shoes or drum can cause it to pull or fluid soaked shoes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, don't ask me how since I just put the brakes togehter from scratch 2 1/2 months ago, but the front piston must have got moisture behind the boot and it was rusted and wouldn't budge ! Had to tap it out and clean it all up, put it back together. Works great doesn't pull hard right anymore, NOW IT PULLS SLIGHTLY LEFT ! I guess I'm pulling that one apart too ! Gotta love old cars !

·
Premium Member
11,693 Posts
Yeah, ya gotta. Always rebuild bot wheel cylinders at the same time. Also might want to have the drums cut. An Out of round drum will also make the car pull on braking.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sad thing is, I did all the brakes rebuilt at the same time 2 1/2 months ago. New rebuild kits bead blasted and honed the cylinders, all brand new lines, prop. valve and master. Nothing was rusty or dirty ! No clue why this happened. Drums were already cut like new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts