Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is not an easy request, but can someone take a picture of a 55 or 56 convertible from underneath the car, that shows the floor brace installed on these two mounts in the photo? This is the front passenger side, but the driver's side would also work. It seems like this particular floor brace wants to line up over the transmission bellhousing mount, rather than the square mounting location on the x member. I'd just like to see how the floor brace looks welded to the underside of the floor, to make sure mine is welded in properly. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope this is what you are looking for? and this was before we restored the frame.
DANgerous

Thanks, but I'm actually looking for a photo taken from underneath the car, with the body mounted to the frame. I'd like to see the floor brace (the brace that's welded to the underside of the floor) mounted to that square frame mount. I know it's an odd request, but the brace that's welded to my floor seems NOT to want to line up with that square mount on the frame. I hope that makes sense. Thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks, but I'm actually looking for a photo taken from underneath the car, with the body mounted to the frame. I'd like to see the floor brace (the brace that's welded to the underside of the floor) mounted to that square frame mount. I know it's an odd request, but the brace that's welded to my floor seems NOT to want to line up with that square mount on the frame. I hope that makes sense. Thanks.
Was your brace replaced?
How about a picture of yours?
DANgerous

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was your brace replaced?
How about a picture of yours?
DANgerous
Here is a pic of how it currently looks. This is the passenger side, taken from the rear of the car looking forward. I don't know if the brace has been replaced, as I don't know the history of the car. The brace does not appear to have been replaced. I do know that the frame has been modified, and that the x member has been welded back in. So the square mount that is affixed to the frame that you can see, is not in the right place, but is back about 3/8 inch. I'm not worried about the fact that the body brace does not line up over the square, since I know the square is in the wrong place. However, the floor brace itself appears to line up over a hole in the transmission bell housing mount, not over the area where I think the square brace should be, if it was in correctly. I have a perfectly unmolested convertible frame that I plan to swap the body over to, and this is the one mount that does not seem to line up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The inside hole on the outer frame bracket is not a body mount. The body mounts to the X-member. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/1-18.gif ..... And the end of the outer bracket. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/1-19.gif
Thanks, I do know that the inside hole on the outer mount is not a body mount, but I was taking the pic with one hand and could only spread the fingers on my other hand that wide, to point to the two frame mounts that share the one floor brace. I realize it looks like I'm point to that inner hole, but I didn't intend to. Thanks for the reply, I'm going to check out the link you attached.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dan. Great pics, but I think this is the set of floor braces that are behind the ones I'm interested in. Can you take picture of the floor braces that are in front of these, just behind the pinch weld where the floor meets the kick panel. Thanks! Close up is great, but if you could take the pic so I can see both of these front most braces at the same time, it would be great.

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
Here is a pic of how it currently looks. This is the passenger side, taken from the rear of the car looking forward. I don't know if the brace has been replaced, as I don't know the history of the car. The brace does not appear to have been replaced. I do know that the frame has been modified, and that the x member has been welded back in. So the square mount that is affixed to the frame that you can see, is not in the right place, but is back about 3/8 inch. I'm not worried about the fact that the body brace does not line up over the square, since I know the square is in the wrong place. However, the floor brace itself appears to line up over a hole in the transmission bell housing mount, not over the area where I think the square brace should be, if it was in correctly. I have a perfectly unmolested convertible frame that I plan to swap the body over to, and this is the one mount that does not seem to line up.
John, I'm not positive but I don't think any rubber mount goes on the square bracket you are referring to. I can confirm that within the next few days when I go get my unrestored 56 convertible out of storage. Have you looked in an assembly manual for the correct rubber mount placement on a convertible?

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
Thanks Dan. Great pics, but I think this is the set of floor braces that are behind the ones I'm interested in. Can you take picture of the floor braces that are in front of these, just behind the pinch weld where the floor meets the kick panel. Thanks! Close up is great, but if you could take the pic so I can see both of these front most braces at the same time, it would be great.
John, Can you post a picture of your trans mounting ear from the bottom looking straight up?

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John, I'm not positive but I don't think any rubber mount goes on the square bracket you are referring to. I can confirm that within the next few days when I go get my unrestored 56 convertible out of storage. Have you looked in an assembly manual for the correct rubber mount placement on a convertible?
I need to check the assembly manual but I thought that the four square mounts that are on the convertible x member were some of the additional braces. It would be great if you could check yours when you can. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
That is not why I asked to see a picture. The transmission mount ears are completely different on a convertible and in your pictures the ear does not look like a convertible ear.
You may be right. That's why I'm getting rid of the frame you see in the pic and reinstalling the body on a new frame. I believe the old frame in the pic was put together from a hardtop to be used under the body.

·
Premium Member
16,824 Posts
I need to check the assembly manual but I thought that the four square mounts that are on the convertible x member were some of the additional braces. It would be great if you could check yours when you can. Thanks.
I should have my 56 out of storage and home here in 4-5 days, I can get a few good pictures then. I know it is correct and never apart, It only had 38,000 miles on it when I purchased it from the original owner in 1985. :)

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is not why I asked to see a picture. The transmission mount ears are completely different on a convertible and in your pictures the ear does not look like a convertible ear.
I never would have noticed that. I went out and compared the frame under the car with the unmolested convertible frame I have and the ears are different. Good piece of info to know. Now I just need to see if the square brackets on the x are used for a body mount.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.