Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am set on using bucket seats in my 57 2 dr, I was looking at several differant seats at 135auto a hughe salvage yard in southern , In,

My friend owns it and he allowed me to pick the seats of my choice from the thousands of cars he has.

Here is what i am looking for first comfort, hopefully electric control etc, I have a bad neck and back due to parachute accident in the 82nd airbourne, so you can see why I want comfort.

I looked at a lot of the sporty seats, like the newer chevelles etc, but they all seem to not have much seat to them, really low, without a lot of padding.

I saw a set in a Buick Sport model, and they were electric etc, but they seem to be to low, to the floor.

So then I found a late model caddilac with a splint bench leather seats with all the bells and whistles, and they set higher etc.

My question is do you think the large Split bench seats out of a full size caddilac will fit in my 57, as far as width and height.

Thanks

otis

·
Registered
468 Posts
If I remeber correctly the distance from one mounting bracket bolt hole to the other is approximately 53.5 inches, so if the Cadillac seats are close they should work. I would try to keep the seat in that mounting area and you should be alright, but you really need to sit in the seat to see if it fits your needs. You don't want to get the seat up on the higher part of the floor.
I think that Chrysler power seats sit about 2 inches lower in the seat area than others. At least the set I have sit lower than the other 2 sets I have.

If those seats don't work I am sure they would work great in my Nomad as I still have the original seats in my 55.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken

That is great info I will measure the seats and also could you tell me the standard height the original seat is that way I can get an idea about height

Otis:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
with the seats sitting on the floor--seat cushion height approximately 8 1/2 inches at the back,---11 inches at the front.

Let em know what those Caddy seats measure. you might want to think about late model Chrysler with the integrated seat belts just for the ease of installation.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
My 55 with stock seat sits at 12 inches from the floor at the highest point measuring beside the seat and 9 inches from the floor at the point where the bottom cushion meets the back rest.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
95 T Bird seats

Forgive for droping the "F" bomb here but I really like my ford t bird buckets. They are both power and vary comfortible. I really considered useing different seats on this build but went right back to thses. The mounting however will have to be modifided. The floor on the tri 5's are not even close to being flat from side to side or front to back. I modifided the seat mounting frame to fit the car. I think the seat is used in several models, some are both power and some are not I found a good pair of seats and found the power track from another. Hope this was helpful. Good luck

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I would be happy to shot a pic or two tomorrow. Are you mostly interested in how I modifided the mounts?

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am interested in learning all options, thanks to everyone for their advice, I have the good luck of being abble to choose between a lot of models, since my friend has a salvage yard, so all info is very welcome.

Although I bet if you guys called your local salvage yards you probably could get a very good deal.

Otis

·
Registered
468 Posts
The mounting modifications and brackets would be nice and where they are located in the floor. Just overall pictures. Cuurious question--how tall are you. My problem comes from me being 6'6" and the fact that a lot of late model buckets sit a little higher when you mount them than the original bench seat. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Otis, I'm 5'11 and where I mounted the seat let's it go back far enough to where the pedals are just about out of reach. I think you will be able to see how I mounted a plate with the studs welded in place.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

I called my friend today and ask him to get me the front leather seats out of the caddilac, I really hope they fit, If they do it's gonna be nice.

I also like the seats you have but I would remove the headrest, headrest don't seem to go with a trifive, But a lot of guys like them,

Otis

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I agree with the head rest. These seats will be done in leather and at that time they will be headless:D

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Then they will look great, Just the type of seat that I was thinking about little more meat to them than most buckets so I bet they will workout great

Are you gonna use a console?

Otis :)

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I have an '02 2500HD with electric seats and have decided that I want a set in my 56 when I build it. They have the seat and shoulder belts built right in. They also have all the functions to raise, lower, and lumbar support.
Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts