Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good reason to install aftermarket upper and lower control arms or just rebuild the old ones. I have a front sway bar. My gut feeling is to just rebuild the original parts. The upper control arm bushings squeak if I don't squirt some wd40 on them every few weeks.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,070 Posts
Is there a good reason to install aftermarket upper and lower control arms or just rebuild the old ones. I have a front sway bar. My gut feeling is to just rebuild the original parts. The upper control arm bushings squeak if I don't squirt some wd40 on them every few weeks.
The reason for aftermarket upper control arms is to allow more camber adjustment which is desirable with aftermarket power steering boxes. Lower arms is just for show to match the uppers.

·
Registered
37,487 Posts
Actually the aftermarket upper control arms have more caster built in, usually 3-5* of positive caster. Camber is unaffected.

Since that much positive caster increases steering effort considerably, you would usually only want that with power steering.

Aftermarket lower control arms are a bit lighter, and can have options for mounting coilover shocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts