Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using all stock parts in the control arms, but with a slightly lowered front from 'a coil removed from front springs', what is the maximum caster angle I should be able to achieve ('57 Nomad)? I tried to 'tow' the car with a tow bar, and found the front wheels wouldnot 'follow' (no engine/trans/etc) so weight was minimal.. I'm concerned that I might have this issue once it's all together..

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions??

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Using all stock parts in the control arms, but with a slightly lowered front from 'a coil removed from front springs', what is the maximum caster angle I should be able to achieve ('57 Nomad)? I tried to 'tow' the car with a tow bar, and found the front wheels wouldnot 'follow' (no engine/trans/etc) so weight was minimal.. I'm concerned that I might have this issue once it's all together..

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions??
I don't think you can compare the way it handles without an engine, transmission, fluids, probably radiator, ect. Changing the height by 1" changes the caster over 1 degree. See the difference in "design load" and "curb weight" in the chart. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57 Chevy Assembly Manual/3-3.gif Without an engine or transmission, the upper control arms will be bottomed out on the bumpers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts