Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that my 55 is mini tubbed and I want to run the exhaust to the rear bumper I am forced to center the gas tank. Planed on using Earles kit BUT now I am considering a fuel cell? My spare tire well has been removed already. Besides lack of room in the trunk itself what are the pros and cons for running a cell? I guess having to open the trunk everytime to refuel but thats no big deal to me. Thanks

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
The two biggest are venting and fire danger.

The tank would need to be vented to the outside.

If you were to go to the track, NHRA rules would require a firewall between the trunk and passenger compartment if a fuel tank was in the trunk. So what you'd have to do would be to fill the two big holes in the bulkhead between the back seat and trunk with sheet metal, and also seal any small holes in the bulkhead. It would be wise to do that even if you didn't want to make it track legal.

The other thing about putting sheet metal there is you can put sound deadener on it and make the car quieter, that's why I did it.

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
The other thing about putting sheet metal there is you can put sound deadener on it and make the car quieter, that's why I did it.
It seems like this is a good idea because it would really make in unnecessary to sound deaden the trunk itself which would actually save time and money.

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
I was using a fuel cell. I placed it under the trunk floor and opened the trunk to fill the tank. No big deal really.
I did this in the 80s and installed everything wrong, but eventually sorted it all out.
I'd use it with the new engine - worked well but have to replace all because the gas is 20 year old varnish now.

·
Registered
539 Posts
1st and foremost.. If you don't need a fuel cell for rules... Do Not Do It. Waste of Money and hassles down the road.

I have been using them for over25 years in different race cars. My biggest issue is they wear out to fast from chaffing,the bladders get impregnated and fail. In truth there only good for 5 years.. I always get 2 times more than that... But at $800.00 just for the blatters all the time forget it!

Once you have your tub size made you don't have to replace that just the blaters.. and there a arm and a leg...The venting issues is nothing to worry about as the refueling issue can very easy still be from your gas door on the fender.. Just as the stock fill is connected to you tank.. You can do the same with your fuel cell.

(Photos) I just had to re order another one on my 57 Alfa.. it is stored in a rental home off season. ( I keep the garage) and the tenent called and said thay smell gas. yet another new one at over $800.00 for just the blatter. dont do it if you dont need it for rules..

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had a fuel cell in my car since '99 with no problems. I don't use foam or bladders in mine. I also don't smell and fuel unless I spill some while filling up. If you do use a cell make sure that you make a firewall inbetween the trunk and back seat, and vent it through the floor. Also if it is a polyethylene cell make sure you ground it.

JB.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Just bought an aluminum 20 gallon fuel cell from Summit for our tryuck build. A whole lot cheaper than buying or making a fuel tank.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm interested in the grounding of a polyethylene cell as I had read about the static issues with them. Do you have any more info please as I'm about to use one?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Run a..

I'm interested in the grounding of a polyethylene cell as I had read about the static issues with them. Do you have any more info please as I'm about to use one?
ground wire from 1 of the filler neck screws to the body. When filling, be sure that the metal nozzle is touching the edge of the neck..

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Hi, The metal ring around the plastic fuel cell's filler cap must be grounded to the frame and any part of the plastic cell that hang's below the trunk floor must be protected by a metal enclosure excluding the hose connection area in the rear. Also they must be isolated from the drivers compartment by a metal firewall in the trunk and vented outside the body..NHRA general regulations 1:5 FUEL SYSTEMS

Racing this car for 28 years:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts