Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gentlemen many hrs, many busted knuckles, and same problem. Basically Engine is starved for fuel. I won't go into the past but anyway. As of today new tank (cause of massive rust), new 3/8 pickup and screen, New 3/8 fuel line all the way to the front and new 3/8 filter. (Problem) very little fuel is getting to the carb then almost dies after you stomp it once and drain the bowls. Before I thought I was getting vapor lock and then found the rust in the tank with a split open pickup screen. I prevously had a stock pump on the block then upgraded to used 110 GPH pump from my buddy thinking the pump was the problem. Basically still starved out quickly with just regualr driving. Today after all the changes I found the car to die while idling and checked the bowl site port for fuel and it had starved out. The delima is either I have two independant fuel pumps that have been tried that both have holes in their diaphrams and won't suck fuel. Or has anybody had a fuel pump ecentric get wiped out. Other than to go to an electric pump and regulator what am I'm missing. After two pumps and the changes made, I'm worried somethings wrong with the cam lobe. specs BBC 454 compcam XE284 and last time I jetted yes the float was free and smooth. thanks for help and ideas

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sometimes, with me at least, it can be something stupid. So, if this sounds too stupid, I am sorry. Could your needle and seat be set too low, or stuck?
Or maybe some of that previously mentioned rust is lodged in the needle and seat? Do you run the sintered brass filters in the carb inlets? Could they be clogged with rust?

Clint

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a 500 hp BBC in a 57 wagon. I'm pulling the carb in the morning to triple check it again. new gas cap last year but you know, I'll run a wire through the hole to make sure a bug didn't make a nest. I'm running a 800 double pumper (no brass screens). What else should I check considering I'm looking for a ghost. Again thanks for the help and perspectives.

·
Premium Member
13,465 Posts
check the fuel pressure also check to see that the sending unit pickup tube is on the botton of the tank.I recently had a stock replacement and it set 2" off the bottom of the tank, at1/4 tank the car would fall on its face . good luck :)

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You do have the right pump on it don't you...
I was just reading this pump info and thought of your question here...

Mechanical fuel pumps for a big block are different from the pumps for a small block. The big block pumps have a longer pump arm and they pump more volume than a stock small block fuel pump.

Stock big block mechanical fuel pumps have three different pump reservoir lengths, short, medium and long. 396 engines use the short pump and most 427/454 motors use the long one. Sometimes a suspension crossmember comes too close to the fuel pump location. If you are installing a 454 in a four–wheel drive truck for instance, this crossmember may prevent the use of the long fuel pump. There is not enough room. In this instance use the medium length pump. The mechanical fuel pump drive shaft is the same length on small blocks and big blocks and are interchangeable.

Don’t be tempted to use the stock short reservoir 396 fuel pump on a 454. The pump will fit but it doesn’t provide enough fuel volume to a 454 engine. A 454 motor with the 396 short pump, will start, idle and run, but when you put the pedal all the way to the floor, the pump can’t keep up with demand of the 454 and then the motor will begin to cough and die as it runs out of fuel. The same thing will happen if you make a mistake and put a small block mechanical fuel pump on a big block.

If you need still more fuel volume, Chevy can provide high–volume (PN–6415748)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts