Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a different style of gas filler neck for the 55s its seems when i pump gas it spills gas out the top of the neck and pump. so when i pump gas i pull the gas pump out of the neck so i can see :confused0006:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Also (at least on a 56) you can put your ear next to the filler and hear the sound change as it fills up in the filler neck, but be careful that you don't get an ear full of gas (slow the flow down as you hear it come up the tube). I discovered this method after too many tail lights full of gas! Dave

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I dont know which pi$$e$ me off more a taillight full of gas or a wet 1/4 pannel. I get the pleasure of both. Were gas pumps much slower in the 50s, I remember regular fuel nozzels were bigger than todays.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks guys i guess i need to pump gas slower. i did not know if there was a different fuel neck we can use so we would not get gas on the 1/4 panel thanks for the info. victor

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I dont know which pi$$e$ me off more a taillight full of gas or a wet 1/4 pannel. I get the pleasure of both. Were gas pumps much slower in the 50s, I remember regular fuel nozzels were bigger than todays.
The 56 is a bigger problem than the 55, it has a longer fill pipe. They did put a fill vent in the 57 that helps a little. I don't remember a problem on my 55 in the 60's. The larger nozzle, before unleaded gas, must have helped, because of the lower velocity. They decreased the size of the nozzle to keep people from using the cheaper leaded gas in unleaded cars. The hole in the fill pipe is smaller on unleaded cars.

68,758 Posts
have same problem with my 55 & 56. just have to take it slow. :creep:

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The 56 is a bigger problem than the 55, it has a longer fill pipe. They did put a fill vent in the 57 that helps a little. I don't remember a problem on my 55 in the 60's. The larger nozzle, before unleaded gas, must have helped, because of the lower velocity. They decreased the size of the nozzle to keep people from using the cheaper leaded gas in unleaded cars. The hole in the fill pipe is smaller on unleaded cars.
My 55 has been mini tubbed with a centered gas tank, I have about 4 or 5 inches of exhaust pipe welded in the middleof the filler neck, so it is just as bad as my 56.

·
12,256 Posts
As I understand it, the problem is the gas going in needs to displace the air in the tank. If you pump too fast, the air rushes back out of the filler, bringing gas with it. Seems like it's more related to volume than velocity. I don't remember having any problems with my55 back in the early 70's.

Does the vent on the 57 fix this? I was going to add one to my Nomad tank, but I didn't because I wasn't sure it was worth it. I could still do it.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
FWIW, my Rock Valley tank, [55], has a vent nipple right next to the opening for the filler neck to hook up... Don't know if that's the answer.. It's just where they put it..
When I complete the install, I'll hook up a hose and route it above the tank, w/ a cheapo fuel filter plugged in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts