Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel gage would read full all the time. Purchased a new fuel sender from ecklers. Removed the old sender which was a after market type. Installed new sender but gage only reads 1/4 full with a full tank. Should I consider bending the arm or is there something else that would cause this. Car has original tank but was modified so that fuel is picked up from a fitting in the bottom of the tank rather than through the sender. This was done to provide a larger dia. fuel line for my fuel hungry highly modified 327.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fuel gage reads 1/4 full with full tank

Thanks for the info,

·
52,791 Posts
Could be a cracked float.....That's what I found on mine and the sender was fairly new, installed by the previous owner.....See link:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49797

If you find the float cracked, let us know....There is a good Ford one to replace it with.

·
Registered
911 Posts
If not the float or a defective sending unit, I would bet it is a poor ground. A bad ground will give you all kinds of headaches. I did what many have done and installed a wire from the sending unit to the frame and all of my funny readings went away. Good luck!

·
52,791 Posts
Easy to determine....Take sending wire off, turn key on, the gauge should peg full......Touch sending wire to body ground, turn key on, gauge should read empty.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fuel gage reads 1/4 full

Went through the diagnostic procedure and everything checked out. Pulled the fuel tank assy. Removed the new sender and float was fine Hooked up the sender wire to the sender and a ground wire and cycled the float. Gage would go from empty to 1/4 full. I have ordered a after market sender and see if it works any better than the reproduction from ecklers.Ps after just a few days sender gasket started leaking Hoping the cork gasket I have works better than the gasket that came with the sender

·
52,791 Posts
TD....Did you ever get your gauge to go to empty by grounding the sender wire?

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel level issue resolved

The 55 fuel gage operates on 0 to 30 ohm. The sender I installed was desi gned for is 0 to 30 ohms. The gage in my vehicle is designed to operate at 0-90 ohm. A compatible aftermarket fuel level sender fixed the issue. Looks like a 55 fuel sender hooked up to a modern gage will only give you a 1/4 tank reading.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts