Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A few weeks ago I discovered that my gas tank was leaking from the outtake/top of the tank (to the engin). I replaced the gaskets and the leak was gone.

BUT!

Now my fuel gauge doesn't work. I have a wire near the front of the fuel tank that I'm not sure about and that maybe my problem... but I don't know if it is or what it should be connect to. So, any help would be appreciated.

The reason I believe it's that wire is becuase I was driving it the other day , on a full tank I had just put in it, and the gauge jumped to full and went back down to not working. Ground wire maybe?

If pics would help just let me know.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The brown wire should be connected to the screw terminal on top of the sending unit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, is it a ground wire? and it connects to the outside of the lid, right?

In the Picture u gave me... I see the wire on, what would be the inside of the unit.... so I guess I need to complete that connection....

·
Registered
535 Posts
the wire that connects to the small nut on the outside of the sender is a low current wire from the right side of the gauge on the dash so it sees a very low amount of power ...what i did to mine was clean off one of the square headed screws really good ran a ground wire from one of them to the frame than ran the brown wire that goes threw the trunk floor to the small nut on the sender ..my gauge wasnt working at all i cleaned everything up ground the housing and now the gauge reads full dont know how accurate it is yet but im going to find out this sunday on a trip im taking to a local swap meet ..i put 25 bucks into the tank and it reads full so im thinking its close ..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey Guy's,

My fuel gauge bounces something shocking when driving but reads accurate when stationary, Any suggestions?:confused0006:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks,:tu

Will look into that, Its bloody frustrating driving down the road with the needle bouncing away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fixed it!

Wow! thanks everyone for your responses! I got it fixed and it only took about 15mins!! Now, I just gotta charge up the battery and get it out this weekend.

Weathers beautiful in AZ right now, so I'm taking it to some shows... Gonna try and sell it :sad0049:
Not too happy about that but, I'm a full time student and yeah....

Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, when I was fixing the leak I didn't realize the wire that connected under the trunk. so, when I dropped the tank it can disconnected. seems like it had been repaired before. so I just reconnect the 2 wires and BAM! done :)

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts