Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for the fuel gauge ohms foor a 98 C5 Vette. I am using the stock qauges an want to order a fuel cell tomorrow. I came up emty on the Corvette forum. The fuel cell comes with this,
Sender Ohm Range0 ohms empty, 90 ohms full

·
12,256 Posts
Bruce, don't you have the tank for the Vette? You could measure it. I doubt it's 0-90 ohms, I think they quit making them that range long ago.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Same here Laszlo

I spent an hour or so trying to find the actaul ohms of the gauge but came up empty.
If using the C5 instument cluster is going too be too much a pain I'll go another route. I like the looks of it and it would save me from buyiing a speedo and tach and the box to convert the tach signal along with the other gauges but I'd like to use it but I'm only willing to go so far with it:rolleyes:

·
12,256 Posts
It looks like the PCM reads both sensors and calculates the amount of fuel you have left, then sends a signal to the gauge. The question I would ask is what type of movement the gauge has, and if it's a stepper motor gauge you may be SOL.

What year is your Corvette?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Fuel Gauge

Bruce,

All of the Instruments have changed a great deal over the last 4 decades.

Our company was the first to sucessfully design and manufacture the first
digital gauges [instruments] decades ago, Including complete Vette prototypes and full panels.

Since then, as you probally already know, they have changed a great deal.

Personally We think that the Auto Makers have installed WAY too many micro- processors systems in Auto's

But, If I remember correctly the PCM [engine computer] comunicates via a serial link [ few wires making a datalink] to the BCM [Body Control Module] And in many Autos the BCM is serially link to the Radio, WHEW !!

The last system we evaluated was a Firebird WS-1 [Performance LS-1] wiring system and the above is what we found. We used the PCM and junked the of the computers.

I believe that the BCM has a serial link to the entire Instrument Panel. We no longer have the documents, so it's just from memory.

But, to save you some time you migth try calling Rock Valley Fuel Tanks. They built my Stainless Steel tank for '56 my LS conversion. I would think that they would have the info. Perhaps they have can fab your tank and install the proper sender.. They are not cheep, but the quality is outstanding.

It's been a while, but some of the older EFI tanks that we removed used resistive elements.

If you really need to know, try going down to your local Chevy dealer with Volt Meter [Analog is better for this than a Digital] in hand and ask them if you can measure a sending unit.

During our desin phase we actually went to every major dealer in Portland [decades ago] and measured every, fuel tank sending unit, temp sender, and so on.. that was locally stocked.... The dealers were very understanding and several of the Chevy Dealers gave the make / model for each sender. They went the extra mile to help. Or maybe they got excited when we pulled up with my '67 Vette
Convert, who knows.

Never Hurts to ask, in person..

Rock Valley Antique Auto Part
Route 72 & Rothwell Road
PO Box 352
Stillman Valley
IL 61084

Good Luck,

Michael..

·
12,256 Posts
I think measuring the sending units is a moot point. The link I provided says the PCM sends a 5V reference voltage to the fuel level senders, then the resulting signals are evaluated by the PCM. It' s the PCM that sends the level signal to the BCM or directly to the gauge.

If the gauge is not a stepper motor movement, you might be able to figure out if some resistive sender would work with it. But IMO that's not likely. I think they've used steppers for quite a while now.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like the PCM reads both sensors and calculates the amount of fuel you have left, then sends a signal to the gauge. The question I would ask is what type of movement the gauge has, and if it's a stepper motor gauge you may be SOL.

What year is your Corvette?
Laszlo

The Vette is a 98. You know it's looking more like I'll bag the arness along with the cluster. This is only the fuel gauge :rolleyes:. I'm just not willing to spend a heap of time on this. I guess taking 6 years to build my 55 has burned me out for the time being. So far this truck has been a blast and I don't want to spoil that. I'd rather buy an AAW harness and a stand alone harness for the LS1 and 4L60.

I'm more interested in cutting up the dash and installing a different cluster. I have a 56 car dash and I like the looks of the new Dakota cluster. I actually have my HVAC unit from my last 55 build. Hmmmm I ay be talking myself into something here:D

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michael

I really appreciate your taking time to post. I read through your commments and convinced me not to go the route I was headed.

Biggest reason, I just ogt done with a 6 year build on my 55. A ton of money and a ton of time. All the while I was finishing up I was looking forward to building one of these trucks. I swore I would never get that deep into a project. The commitment is just to great. I am watching my time and money for this one and may offer it for sale when it's done at a price that would want me to do another. I've basicly been on this less than a month and I can see myself setting the cab on the frame this weekend. As far as a fuel tank. I ordered a 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell from Summit today for right around $250. I was planning on building anoother one but again, time vs money.

One of the best things II have going for me is I still have a whole bunch of Vette parts for sale to offset some of the cost of the build. :happy0030:

Thanks again for your post:tu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts