Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on Edelbrocks Pro Flo 4 EFI XT style for a small block chevy?

·
Registered
35,508 Posts
The Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 is probably the most affordable multi-port sequential EFI system in the aftermarket. It is far from having the most features, it's pretty basic and simple. The user interface is from an Android tablet, no option for a laptop. It doesn't have data logging but you can get multiple screen captures from the tablet to record what's going on. There's no detailed editing of fuel or timing tables, but you can set AFR for WOT, cruise, and idle, and you tune the timing from end limits like you would a distributor with mechanical weights and springs as well as vacuum advance. It has a wide band O2 sensor and is self learning like most of the other of the latest generation of aftermarket systems.

A friend put one on his BBC with an XT manifold. He had some initial problems, the worst of which were a bad Aeromotive fuel pump, and a couple of burned plug wires which caused occasional dead misses. Once both were fixed it has been a really nice system for him. The engine is a 502 with a big cam and some big Brodix heads. The EFI has tamed the idle and low speed responsiveness that wasn't there with a carb.

The lack of features and simplicity of the tuning interface is good and bad. Good if you think an advanced system might be over your head. Bad if you want those things. Good that you don't pay for extra features. Bad that you can't option to have them.

Edelbrock has a pretty good online forum that supports the system, manned by capable Edelbrock employees. There is also customer service by phone. Contrast that to Holley where the online forum has no Holley employees (but pretty good knowledge) as well as customer service by phone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 on a SBC 383. Installation was simple as is operation. The system self tunes and the engine runs smooth. I'm not big into tuning so the I like that the system does it for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I hate tuning myself. I'm building a 283, not much over stock, mild cam with power pack heads. we've had carburetors our whole life, just wanting to try something different. TOM

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
The Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 is probably the most affordable multi-port sequential EFI system in the aftermarket. It is far from having the most features, it's pretty basic and simple. The user interface is from an Android tablet, no option for a laptop. It doesn't have data logging but you can get multiple screen captures from the tablet to record what's going on. There's no detailed editing of fuel or timing tables, but you can set AFR for WOT, cruise, and idle, and you tune the timing from end limits like you would a distributor with mechanical weights and springs as well as vacuum advance. It has a wide band O2 sensor and is self learning like most of the other of the latest generation of aftermarket systems.

A friend put one on his BBC with an XT manifold. He had some initial problems, the worst of which were a bad Aeromotive fuel pump, and a couple of burned plug wires which caused occasional dead misses. Once both were fixed it has been a really nice system for him. The engine is a 502 with a big cam and some big Brodix heads. The EFI has tamed the idle and low speed responsiveness that wasn't there with a carb.

The lack of features and simplicity of the tuning interface is good and bad. Good if you think an advanced system might be over your head. Bad if you want those things. Good that you don't pay for extra features. Bad that you can't option to have them.

Edelbrock has a pretty good online forum that supports the system, manned by capable Edelbrock employees. There is also customer service by phone. Contrast that to Holley where the online forum has no Holley employees (but pretty good knowledge) as well as customer service by phone.
Rick,

Thanks for your observations. :shakehands:

Although not yet a priority, upgrading to fuel injection is on my wish list.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Have you thought about the Holley Sniper. Bolt on any 4bbl manifold. I’m putting mine on in next few weeks.

·
Registered
35,508 Posts
Of course while the Holley Sniper is another choice, it's not multi-port or sequential. And with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Of course while the Holley Sniper is another choice, it's not multi-port or sequential. And with its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
I'm planning on fuel injection for my 383 and narrowed it down to the sniper and pro flow 4. I'm leaning towards the pro flow because of the port injection and good reviews.I have a friend running the sniper and is very satisfied as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm also planning for fuel injection on my street 425+hp 383/4speed/3.55. I found a used MPFI manifold w/1100cfm throttle body & 26lb/hr injectors in great shape. I'll be using a EZ-EFI FAST harness & 2.0 ECU(or Street Engine Management XFI ECU). Batch fire with no timing control is adequate for my needs.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts

I have been running this setup for a couple of years now with no problems.
It is an Edelbrock ProFlo XT intake and throttle body, injectors and sensors and everything else is FAST. The FAST 30404-Kit will adapt to the ProFlow XT if you change the injector plugs. I am using the FAST CD and coil and a FAST locked distributor.
You can make minor changes to fuel and timing but very basic.
It is sitting on top of a DART 427 SBC short block with AFR Heads and a COMP CAM XFI roller cam shaft (designed for efi)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pro Flo 4

I would recommend the Pro Flo 4 just installed on my 57 with 355 sbc brodix IK180 heads. Easy install and absolutely excellent support by phone and on their forum. I used their sump kit with my victor jr mechanical pump and its been great. Just wrapped it up and haven't driven much but just start up and adjustment have been worth it so far. Ill try and upload some pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts