Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 210, i recently installed a new seding unit from ecklers to get me gas guage working. That all went fine however i noticed when i filled the tank i had a small fuel drip. After getting it back on the lift i noticed the sauder was broke on the sending unit. I then pulled it off and re sauderd it, thought i had a good fix but after refilling the tank there is still a small drip, anyone had an issue like this before is it just my luck??

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
A friend of mine did the same thing on his 55. He didn't use another wrench to take the stress off of the line when he tightened the fitting. He did the same as you but had to use silver solder to get it to work. Also be sure you are using the better cork gasket instead of the rubber one.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
It's probably leaking around the gasket. I had a problem also and it took a couple of times before I got it fixed. Make sure the surface is clean on both sides o the gasket if that proves to be the problem. Also I had to tighten the screws really tight. :anim_25:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine did the same thing on his 55. He didn't use another wrench to take the stress off of the line when he tightened the fitting. He did the same as you but had to use silver solder to get it to work. Also be sure you are using the better cork gasket instead of the rubber one.
I think i may have to do the same, i had silver solder the day i did it too i just didnt have a torch to get the silver hot enough so i went back with the regular solder that it came with from ecklers. Shoulda done it right the first time while i had access to a lift i guess!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
49,484 Posts
What gasket did you use? If you used the rubber gasket they are known to leak. You want the rubberized cork gasket and be sure to use the copper lock washers on the screws.
Terry

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
What gasket did you use? If you used the rubber gasket they are known to leak. You want the rubberized cork gasket and be sure to use the copper lock washers on the screws.
Terry
Good advice from Terry....I also use #2 Form A Gasket....Be sure the gasket is clocked correctly.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Good advice from Terry....I also use #2 Form A Gasket....Be sure the gasket is clocked correctly.
Permatex #2 sealer great stuff:tu

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
If you can get it back up on the lift see if you can see where the weeping starts from, as previously stated the gasket is nototious to leak but it could be coming from where you`ve connected it together from

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
gas leak @ sender

If you can get it back up on the lift see if you can see where the weeping starts from, as previously stated the gasket is nototious to leak but it could be coming from where you`ve connected it together from
I've been there done that! You need to use thread sealer on all the screws and I betcha it quits. TJN/56NOMAD:gba:

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Leaking sending unit

Agree on the gasket, the Ecklers rubber gasket cuts easily with just a little over tightening. I made my own out of fuel resistant gasket material from the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the info i will take a look again next time i can get it on the lift but im pretty sure its coming from where i connected the fuel line as it was before i tried to solder it. but guess i could of messed up the rubber gasket from ecklers while putting it back on and also i did make sure it was clocked right as another tri five gave me that advice after stopping by to check out the car when he saw me workin on it in the driveway. All great info as always on this site. thanks again fellas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts