Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car has it's RWC as of yesterday, but it's conditional upon fixing a leak in the fuel line hose where it joins the pump. (The rear end of the hose is not leaking.)

The fuel line end of the hose joins the steel fuel line connector right underneath the steering box, between it and the chassis. It's a tight fit and probably the way most RHD cars would have been set up. (Please let me know if this is not the case.)

The mechanic wants to get the hose off to check and possibly re-crimp the ends. He also wants to see if the fuel line end of the hose can be positioned straighter – currently there's a slight kink where the rubber leaves the crimped sleeve and it's sort of pressed up to the steering box a bit.

The mechanic was reckoning that he'd need to take the steering box out for access – especially to do the re-install, where there's pretty much no room to get a spanner onto the joiner.

I called another mechanic who has worked on the car and he wondered about just removing the front joiner and sliding over two small hose clamps – on for each end. Sounded ok to me.

I also thought about re-directing the hose so it runs on the other side of the brake lines. The way I saw it, this might be achieved by not having to take it out, and instead taking the front end of the hose back and up around the brake line coming up off the t-junction. (That would bring it closer to viewer in the pic.)

How does all of that sound? Any better ideas? Probably the same question would apply to later model RHD Chevs as well.

And as far as I know, the set-up and parts for this are all stock for RHD – by the book.

Need a way forward before Monday morning. :)

--

* Haven't dealt with this mechanic before. He's local and has worked on plenty of Chevs, other classics, muscle cars and works for race teams at the track – he's sort of a legend. But I can't yet tell if he beats these things up before doing them, or if it genuinely is a messy thing to do. Hmmm.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am thinking I might cut it off a few inches behind the joiner, get the end flared and then put on a longer hose. Will not be 100% original, but will be a more simple fix.

Any better suggestions? Let me know ...

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Firstly :congrats: on the RWC

Sounds like its just the hose that needs to be replaced, I wouldnt try a recrimp, be careful on when you tighten as it will twist the hose.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks on the :congrats:, Ang.

Turns out the fuel line had been made a few inches too short, so a longer flex hose was put there. So not 100% original as it was. Have a fix in sight.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts