Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1955 235 six cylinder - looking for a fuel pump
bought one from rock auto which was supposedly for a 235 six
problem is my fuel line has a lip/flange on end and it wouldn’t go into the inlets of pump - the outside dimension of my fuel line was slightly wider than the inside dimensions of the inlet ports of the pump
had to return it

does anyone know
what type of fuel pump accommodates a fuel line with a lip on the end, what size inlets of the pump should have be so fuel line slips in easily
where to buy it

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am looking for a mechanical fuel pump for 1955 chevy bel air 235 six cylinder engine. Bought one and had to return it. My fuel lines have a lip at tend and they could not be inserted into the inlet ports of the pump
Fuel lime was a bit too wide.
Below are photos of existing fuel pump and fuel line with the lip or flange at the end

Does anyone know what fuel pump fits my car and where to buy it?
And is there a fitting or adapter which can be used to get my fuel line into a fuel pump whose inlet openings are slightly smaller.
Gas Auto part Metal Aluminium Nickel
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to keep posting new threads for the same question. That is not an original fuel pump in your picture. The Carter M2118 or Airtex 4149 pumps in this link will work just fine. Your current replacement pump already has the brass adapters on it that will transfer to the pumps in my link below.

1955 CHEVROLET BEL AIR 3.8L 235cid L6 Fuel Pump | RockAuto
Thanks. I bought the Carter one from Rock Auto and my fuel lines would not go in the inlet ports because fuel lines have a lip at the end.
brass adapters? Excuse my ignorance but what and where are these In my photo

·
Premium Member
16,583 Posts
Thanks. I bought the Carter one from Rock Auto and my fuel lines would not go in the inlet ports because fuel lines have a lip at the end.
brass adapters? Excuse my ignorance but what and where are these In my photo
They are the brass piece between your lines and the pump itself. Take the lines off then you can take the adapters off to put on the new pump.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are the brass piece between your lines and the pump itself. Take the lines off then you can take the adapters off to put on the new pump.
Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I really appreciate your knowledge. I just took a look after your most recent reply and now know what and where the adapters are. One side is male which goes in the pump and the other side is female where the gas line goes into.
If I want to replace the two adapters is there a specific name for them and size to get?
I believe the pump inlet size is 1/8 thread, but not sure what the size of the female thread is is where the gas line goes into.

·
Premium Member
16,583 Posts
Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I really appreciate your knowledge. I just took a look after your most recent reply and now know what and where the adapters are. One side is male which goes in the pump and the other side is female where the gas line goes into.
If I want to replace the two adapters is there a specific name for them and size to get?
I believe the pump inlet size is 1/8 thread, but not sure what the size of the female thread is is where the gas line goes into.
I would re-use the ones you have, They are better than the new Chinesium crap you will get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts