Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I recently purchased a 1957 Chevy 3100 with the original 235 6cyl engine. The other day she just quit on me and I have not been able to get her started since. I replaced the fuel pump as th e lines were dry before and after the pump so I thought no big deal. She cranked right over after I replaced it ran for about ten minutes amd shut off again. Now there is no fuel getting to the pump again. What could the problem be? I was reading about a rod that had to be set but there were some people saying that was only on a v8 so I am still unsure. I am new to this so all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Remove the fuel pump inlet line and tank gas cap,next blow low press compressed air at the line back to tank and you should hear bubbling from tank filler.Also possible the tank pickup tube is getting clogged and if there is a fuel filter before the fuel pump go ahead and replace it.Check to see if there is a rubber line before the pump,it could be collapsing or drawing air in from a tiny pin hole,or have a restriction.Good luck,hope this helps.
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help I will definitely try these things tomorrow after work. Ill post after to update. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
68,010 Posts
Sounds like you have a blockage if the lines are clean of fuel. Could be the fuel sender filter clogged up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks ill check into that as well. How long should it take to get fuel from the tank to the pump once these things have been checked since the lines went completely dry?

·
Administrator
68,010 Posts
It should only take a couple of cranks of the engine. If you disconnect the line to the carby place it into a container & crank it over a couple of times it should pump into the container

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turned out the points needed adjusting as well as the floats inside the carb but finally got her up and running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It had to be a mixture of the bad fuel pump and the floats in the carb. I didn't find any blockages in any of the lines. But the travel on the pump lever on the new vs the old pump was a huge dufference it felt like tthe old pump froze up. Next step is to rebuild the carb I noticed some leaks at the flanges when I would pour gas straight into the carb but at least she's running now.

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
It had to be a mixture of the bad fuel pump and the floats in the carb. I didn't find any blockages in any of the lines. But the travel on the pump lever on the new vs the old pump was a huge dufference it felt like tthe old pump froze up. Next step is to rebuild the carb I noticed some leaks at the flanges when I would pour gas straight into the carb but at least she's running now.

Thats a good idea, you don't want gas leaking out....definite fire hazzard...:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts