Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this morning I swapped out a Holley Red electric fuel pump for an identical new Holley Red electric fuel pump. Other then the pump, nothing changed. Same lines and electric. Put the new pump in the identical position as the old one. Hooked everything up and turned the pump on. I could hear it working in the back and waited a short bit and tried to start the car. Nothing. Left it on and waited a little longer. Still wouldn't start. Checked the clear fuel filter which was bone dry. Lifted the car back up and first slightly undid the out line. No gas came out. Then undid the in line and a very tiny amount, a few drops at most, probably residual from the old line, came out and stopped. Nothing more. Tightened everything up and brought the car down. Left the pump on and raised the car again. Thinking maybe there was some trapped air, I undid both lines and still nothing came out. The pump continued to hum but no pumping action. When I put the first one in, I didn't have this problem. I hooked everything up and it worked right away. Would anyone have any ideas/suggestions why this isn't pumping? Short of this new pump being faulty, I don't have a clue. Thank you, Carmine.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
You may have a air leak between the pump and the tank, such as at the sender connection. The pump will pull air easier than fuel so it never gets any fuel to the pump.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As acardon said or it could be a bad new Holley pump. Holleys quality control is steadily getting worse it seems. A friend put a new Holley red in his '56 Olds project last winter and it never even hummed let alone suck air or fuel...he had to return it and get another. One of our club members is on his third new Holley red for his '38 Chevy COE project, the first was dead out of the box, the second worked for about a month then quit pumping, third time was a charm... the pumps been working for about two months now :anim_25:

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may have a air leak between the pump and the tank, such as at the sender connection. The pump will pull air easier than fuel so it never gets any fuel to the pump.
There is just one line, about 18" long, that goes from the sending unit to the inlet of the pump. I tightened everything and didn't have this problem before making the change. The other pumped worked but only for short periods of time; maybe 15 minutes or so. I'll check the connections again. Even though this pump is identical to the old one, it doesn't seem as strong as the old one. The old one I could hear and actually feel a little better. Just my luck I guess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had the same problem, had to disconnect the line going into the pump then put air pressure into the tank to start a siphon to the line disconnected from the pump hooked it up quickly because the gas starts to flow in to a can. After that it started up and has not lost prime. But I do have a inconsistent fuel pressure problem still working on that !!!

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,014 Posts
could be that the pickup tube is plugged up as well.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just couldn't get the new Holley Red electric fuel pump to work. It would come on but just wouldn't pick up the fuel in the tank. This morning, I called the Holley tech. line and told them of my problem. They were very receptive and said the only thing it could be is a defective pump. They said to take it back to where I purchased it which I will do. Prior to this, I purchased another new pump from a different vendor. This pump is called "Big End" and I'm told it's manufactured by Holley. Looks identical to a Holley. Brought that home and plumbed that into the lines. It came on but refused to pump gas. I took a previous suggestion and even pressurized the tank hoping to help it prime itself. Still nothing. I lifted the car again and saw that the inlet fuel line was slightly leaking. This was a first and I think it's because of the previous air pressure. I tightened the line and tried it again; nothing. Now I do know that gas will flow through the line from the tank to the pump if pulled. I had to call a time out and think about this. I still don't know why I can't get neither to work. It's possible but how probable that they, being new and manufatured by the same company, can both be defective??? Any thoughts?? Thank you, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Fuel level?

How full is the fuel tank?

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mean to imply anything, but do you have the flow going in the right direction? Is there an "in" and "out" for the fuel line? Just a thought.
Yes, that's about the only thing I do have right. I just came in from the garage and I checked on something. I undid the line that goes from the sending unit to the inlet on the pump. I didn't undo it all the way but it was close. Not a single drop of fuel came out of this line/fitting. From everything I read about electric fuel pumps, they are pushers, not pullers, and they work on a gravity feed. On my wagon, the sending unit is about 12" or so up from the bottom. The bottom of the fuel pump is straight across from the bottom of the tank per manufacturers directions. So how the heck can this ever be a gravity feed? Gravity is not going to pull the fuel up the feeder tube 12" or so of the sending unit, and out the line. I could drop the pump to the floor and still there would be no fuel coming out of the sending unit if it relies on gravity. But, both these new pumps I tried are at the same configuration of the old one that would work up to about 15 minutes or so. I probably put no more then 20 gals. of fuel through it and total running time of maybe 3 hrs. or so. Unbelieveable, the old one when first installed picked the fuel up right away. Boy, I wish I could get a mechanical pump to work. I never liked electric fuel pumps and I'm disliking them even more.

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
I've never run an electric pump, but I think they also "pull" from the tank, but work better the closer it is to the tank. Just something I thought of......Is there anyway you can take the "out" fitting off and put a vacumn pump or line so as to "suck" some gas to the pump. Maybe it will "prime" the pump enough to make it work after reinstalling the line.

·
Premium Member
6,887 Posts
Another thought....Have you taken the fuel line off at the carb. to see if it will pump? Being a "closed" system, you are pushing air from the pump to the carb. if the carb. bowl is already full. Just trying to give some ideas.:anim_25:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just a thought, but have you tried to siphon the gas from the supply(gas tank) to the inlet side of the pump. Just pull the hose and give it a good suck and try to avoid the gas im your mouth flavor. This can tell you if the gas is making to the pump or if there is a blockage in the line somewhere:anim_25:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Bench test the pump to either confirm or eliminate it as the source of the problem. A can of gas and some line in and out will tell you if the pump is functioning OK. Safety first, be careful with sparks and fuel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.