Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
prorange as you know from my post ive got the same problem. ive got an idea im going to work on today ill let you know how it works

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheify! i am orignaly from ohio just to let u know.keep me posted to let me know what u find out

·
Registered
510 Posts
some truck blocks (v8 small block) in 1979 had clearance issues with the fuel pump push rod and didn't oil well enough which could cause heat from friction. repair was to remove the push rod and grind a flat along the length in order to allow oil to run down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
prorange as i said i worked on my problem today im running a 502 bbc with a tunnel ram and after about 10-15 min i noticed the fuel in my clear filters start to bubble and fuel level go down . upon checking i found that the fuel lines to the mech pump were cool but the pump and the lines to the carbs were very hot. so i went and bought a pump that has a returnline on it. ran the engine 20 min and filters stayed full and the pump was warm but not hot like before. didnt have time to run longer.
my thinking is with the return fuel flowing and constantly moving it is keeping the pump/fuel cooler and maybe the pump isnt working as hard and heating up. but thats what ive found so far in my search. ill keep you posted as i run it more

·
Registered
206 Posts
no just ran to fuel can i havent done much with it this week i run it down the road last weekend before i did the fuel pump change and jumpped on it, well it ran my filters low and the engine leaned out, backfired thru the carbs and blew my intake gasket wont be able to get to it til sat. i was encouraged by the full filters after the pump change i will keep you informed.if i do run a return ive just installed a new send unit and hate to have to replace it so my gears are turning to fix this stay tuned:party0031:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info.will keep in touch.i will ask about the reason for the return lines to see if thats what solve this problem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts