Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Ive got a roller cammed 1957 283 with the factory carter 4 barrel. While in kentucky last august i had some problems with my fuel line. It was actually a hole in the line, but while troubleshooting i replaced the mechanical pump with an electric. Now i really want to go back to mechanical, but im not sure what material or length pushrod to get. I just have a stock style 4-7 psi low pressure pump, so can i use steel? And also, to fight vapor lock id like to install a fuel return line, which ill plumb into the breather hose for the fuel tank (it never works anyway) but with a stock glass bowl fuel filter, how would i attatch it to the carb? What size hose to use?

·
Registered
37,270 Posts
You can buy a replacement fuel pump pushrod, ready to run. No worries about material, finish, diameter, length, etc. Making your own will be a problem unless you can get precision ground material of the correct diameter, or have a machine shop with a precision grinder. Just no need for that.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Just any pushrod of the right length will do?
Assuming the roller cam has the same lobe as the flat tappet cam, yes you just need a small block fuel pump push rod. They're standard.

Don't stress on the vapor lock fears, if your tank to pump line is away from the hot exhaust, you'll be ok. Blocking off the intake heat passage in the heads and/or insulating the intake from the carburetor might be needed if you have the fuel in the carburetor boiling after shut down, but you can cross that bridge when you get there.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,744 Posts
Lance...Just curios...Are you sure that you have a roller cammed engine...Sounds fishy to me, unless you installed a retrofit kit.

·
Registered
37,270 Posts
Just google "chevy fuel pump push rod" and you'll find several sources. Dorman makes one that most auto supplies should have or be able to get. Summit and Jegs have them from the performance manufacturers, lightweight, bronze tip, etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, im sure i have a roller cam, it was retrofitted in. Ok i dont know what happened to the one i had, but alright great! And yea i have the glass bowl fuel filter and even with an electric fan i still see it bubbling in there, and still get vaporlock

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,744 Posts
Yep, im sure i have a roller cam, it was retrofitted in. Ok i dont know what happened to the one i had, but alright great! And yea i have the glass bowl fuel filter and even with an electric fan i still see it bubbling in there, and still get vaporlock
Most likely it will take the standard pushrod...However, if in doubt, call the cam manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depending on what material the cam is made of drives what pushrod you can use. If it is billet steel cam you can't run a stock pushrod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts