Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day all
I have just put a new fuel sender in the chev and I'm having a issue. I have done all the checks that I can find on earthing and the sorts and it all looks good. Problem is the gauge is now reading only 1/4 full when full. I haven't run the beast out of fuel yet to see if the gauge is reading something but it is frustrating as a fuel gauge is kind of important I think. Car is factory rhd Auzzie delivered so has a 55 56 dash as I'm sure you all know. The new sender is 0-30 ohms and I'm thinking maybe the gauge has been changed out at some stage . Just guessing though. Has anyone else had this problem? And yes I've tried the fist on the cluster trick and the gauge moves freely when checked. I've got all my best info on this forum so I'm hoping someone can give me an easy fix.

Thanks

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
You`ve put the sender in upside down :sign0020:

Just double check the wiring behind the instrument cluster, make sure that the pink wire (power) is on your left & the brown wire is on the right which goes to a connector which in turn runs to the sender. (Thats out of the 55 w`shop manual).

It could be the guage, if it reads full with the power on & the sender wire off, short the sender wire & see if the guage reads empty then looks like the guage is working.

If its still reading empty the possibility could be that the sender wire is shorting out somewhere.

Heres some pics from the library to help you.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I'm betting the new float has cracked and is partially full of fuel.
Earth wire on sender terminal --- Gauge should read empty.
Remove wire from sender terminal --- Gauge should read above full.
I these happen, the float or sender is bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well tried everYthing and the gauge is still reading 1/4 full. Only thing left is pull the new sender out and have a look. Or maybe too hard basket lol

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Well tried everYthing and the gauge is still reading 1/4 full. Only thing left is pull the new sender out and have a look. Or maybe too hard basket lol
Thinking that its a new sender I wouldnt have thought that the float may be faulty as Don suggested.

Take the sender out to inspect, if it is faulty replace the float with an early ford one 1965 to 1970 should be the same.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
If you removed the wire from the sender and the gauge stayed on 1/4, it's not the sender, it's a problem with the gauge. Either no power to the gauge, a bad gauge, or shorted wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts