Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a new sending unit in a new gas tank today. Used cork gasket and correct screws with copper washers. Put in gas filler tube and new gasket. Got it strapped in under the car and when I went up front to attach the fuel line to the sending unit, the sending unit's line/nut were in line with the strap and bracket where the strap attaches. Wrangled tank around a little and finally had enough room to attach fuel line. Is there something I did wrong that made the sender fuel line align wrong? Otherwise everything went together well. Which makes me think something will leak. :p3:

thanks, Fuzz

·
Registered
37,236 Posts
There are a couple of bends in the pipe on the exterior side of the sender unit. And bends in the tube that attaches to it. It's really hard to make precision bends in these components. At any factory. Given that you figured out how to make the connection, you had success.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had exactly the same issue, like the sending unit/fuel line connection were right in the middle of the space the tank strap wanted to occupy. I also fixed it by wrangling but there is fractional clearance.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For further information:

I cut about a 3 inch piece of rubber fuel line lengthwise and put it around the metal fuel line where it goes right by the strap/body to give fuel line some "cushion" and keep it from rubbing.

Fuzz

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
For further information:

I cut about a 3 inch piece of rubber fuel line lengthwise and put it around the metal fuel line where it goes right by the strap/body to give fuel line some "cushion" and keep it from rubbing.

Fuzz
Yep, had to do the same thing. Wrapped the fuel line with a rubber line and then used zip ties to secure it at the same location as you described Fuzz. Works fine.
I guess brilliant minds think alike. :five:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts