Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a fuel sending unit with a return line from Eklers. After installing it I found that it leaks fuel from where the return line is soldered into the flange. Donna at Elkers was very helpful and is sending out a prepaid return label so that I can return it. My question is ... Has anyone else had this issue? As far as I can find they are the only ones that make and sell this part. If it is a know problem then I will go another route for the return line instead of risking doing the job three times. Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I bought this unit last winter but have not installed it yet, I'm hoping your problem is a "one of" and not a problem with all of them. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this unit last winter but have not installed it yet, I'm hoping your problem is a "one of" and not a problem with all of them. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
I am hoping it was a one time problem as well... On a positive note the car runs awesome with the new Sniper fuel injection unit.. Just not happy about the puddle of fuel under the car while it is sitting in the garage..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering...Since you say it was working well, are you feeding a frame mounted external pump with this set up?
Yes... I purchased the installation kit that comes with everything needed for install.. (except for the fuel sending unit with a return line) The kit is a good deal because if you add up all of the parts included and purchase them individually it would be much more expensive. The kit includes the external fuel pump that is much quieter than my old Holley electric fuel pump That I ran with carburetor.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes... I purchased the installation kit that comes with everything needed for install.. (except for the fuel sending unit with a return line) The kit is a good deal because if you add up all of the parts included and purchase them individually it would be much more expensive. The kit includes the external fuel pump that is much quieter than my old Holley electric fuel pump That I ran with carburetor.
Would you mind posting pictures of the pump mounting and installation?

I have my Sniper kit ready and just finished replacing the dual-plane manifold with a single-plane on my ZZ4....

Note: A noticeable difference in low end torq loss with the single plane manifold..... I don't really care since it is my driver and not a race car....

Curious.... How low were you able turn down the idle?I heard that is a problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35,346 Posts
A cheap easy way of adding a return line is to buy the Moroso kit that puts it in your filler tube. No welding needed, just a saw and a screwdriver.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you have a link to the kit, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm in the market as all I have yet is the sending unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ouch! 2K is a bit spendy for this cowboy!

I thought maybe the pump, regulator and fittings came in a kit that was a bit cheaper than buying separately. I'll be feeding a 6L LS engine and will be using the same pump setup. Thanks for the post though.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Ouch! 2K is a bit spendy for this cowboy!

I thought maybe the pump, regulator and fittings came in a kit that was a bit cheaper than buying separately. I'll be feeding a 6L LS engine and will be using the same pump setup. Thanks for the post though.
The link I posted lists it at $1250.00......

That's it... you don't need anything else! Where did you see $2k?

A new Holley 4bbl will cost between $500.00 - $600.00....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would you mind posting pictures of the pump mounting and installation?

I have my Sniper kit ready and just finished replacing the dual-plane manifold with a single-plane on my ZZ4....

Note: A noticeable difference in low end torq loss with the single plane manifold..... I don't really care since it is my driver and not a race car....

Curious.... How low were you able turn down the idle?I heard that is a problem.

Thanks in advance!
The idle did not seem to be a problem... I just followed the instructions..

As far as mounting the pump ... I already had two bolts through the trunk pan from the old systems electric pump.. I mounted the pump on a short piece of aluminum angle and mounted the angle with the old bolts through the floor.. It is a little closer to the exhaust than I would like but hasn't seemed to be a problem.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
The idle did not seem to be a problem... I just followed the instructions..

As far as mounting the pump ... I already had two bolts through the trunk pan from the old systems electric pump.. I mounted the pump on a short piece of aluminum angle and mounted the angle with the old bolts through the floor.. It is a little closer to the exhaust than I would like but hasn't seemed to be a problem.
I'm mainly curious about the elevation of the pump and its ability to prime itself. It seems to me that too low makes it vulnerable to getting torn off from road debris and too high might impair its ability to prime itself.... Should the bottom of the pump be at least as low as the bottom of the fuel tank? The Ecklers sending unit draws from the tank bottom but the fuel has to climb over the sending unit then down into the pump suction....???

Thanks!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm mainly curious about the elevation of the pump and its ability to prime itself. It seems to me that too low makes it vulnerable to getting torn off from road debris and too high might impair its ability to prime itself.... Should the bottom of the pump be at least as low as the bottom of the fuel tank? The Ecklers sending unit draws from the tank bottom but the fuel has to climb over the sending unit then down into the pump suction....???

Thanks!
I was wondering about the same thing, pump elevation.

Just recently while taking a motor out of a truck, we disconnected the fuel line and anytime the end of the gas line was below the level of the gas in the tank, gas would syphon out - even though the line was routed out the top of the tank. I'm hoping that mounting the pump slightly lower than the bottom of the tank will have the same effect and the pump will stay primed.

If the pump is too exposed to road debris, I'm thinking I could then fabricate some kind of mesh protector that would block debris and still let air get to the pump.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts