Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Fuel Systems, Fuel Injection, Carburation, Supercharging, Questions and answers

59K views 56 replies 34 participants last post by  nick_nl 
#1 ·
Ask all your questions here, or help answer questions posted.

Fuel Systems, Fuel Injection, Carburation, Supercharging, Questions and answers

#5 · (Edited)
Look to see if there is a 9th injector. It will be on the left side about 2/3rds back in the intake behind the runner. Also look at the right side of the plenum, there will be a MAP sensor bolted to the side with 2 bolts. These things indicate a SD (speed density) set up as opposed to the earlier MAF (mass air flow) system.

This fellow has some good info.

http://chevythunder.com/

#9 ·
fuel pump?

I just got a 56 210 and discovered that it won't start. when a small amount of gas is poured in the carb it will start and run until that is gone, but then dies. there is fuel in the tank, so I guess it's the fuel pump? I have only spent a few minutes looking for it, since I'm storing it away from home, but haven't located it. I realize it's mechanical, but haven't eyeballed it yet.

any tips on this problem? can someone give me a quick clue where the pump is located so I don't waste time looking next time I can get out there?

thanks.

#10 · (Edited)
hi braando and welcome! would be good to start a new thread with any question you might have. also good to do an intro and say hello. congrats on getting your 56 210(good taste ;)). fuel pump on my 350 & 327 are located on passenger side towards the front of eng. . you can also just follow the fuel lines from carb or tank. good to have you here :tu:cool:

#15 ·
need help with major carb issues. I have a 600cfm edelbrock carb on a single carb tunnel ram intake. The carb is about two years old with very little running time. I drove the car for the first time in months and it ran fine for abbout 1/2 hour then the problems started. First I noticed fuel leaking around the throttle shaft, then the car started to run rough and would not keep a constant idle. If you turn the adjusting screws in at the front of the carb all the way in the car continues to run. howerver if you place your hands over the top of the carb the engine will die. I removed the hose from the pcv valve at the carb the idle went way up instead on dieing. Thanks for any assistance you can give me on this carb issue. Al

#17 ·
Fuel injection similiar to 1957

I recently saw an add for a fuel injection system that looked very similiar to the 1957 rochester fuel injection but it used modern electronic fuel injectors. Now I can't find the add or remember :) the name of the company that manfactures it. Any ideas?

#18 ·
#20 ·
As far as I know, the system is the same as the General Motor Performance Parts Ramjet, with a different shaped intake manifold/throttle body. The way I understand it, AZ Speed and Marine developed the MPFI computer for Mercruiser Boats and GM used it on the 350 and 502's.

#21 ·
LT-1 COLD AIR INTAKE

Installing an LT-1 Vette engine into a '56 Bel Air. Am looking for a stainless steel air intake tube, that I can attach a K&N filter to. Would like to find a split tube that would necessitate using two filters. Any suggestions, or suppliers I might check to find? Or is this something I'm going to have to fabricate? Thanks, Ben.

#22 ·
Installing an LT-1 Vette engine into a '56 Bel Air. Am looking for a stainless steel air intake tube, that I can attach a K&N filter to. Would like to find a split tube that would necessitate using two filters. Any suggestions, or suppliers I might check to find? Or is this something I'm going to have to fabricate? Thanks, Ben.
Oh yeah, fabricate only.

Check out the beauty by joelutz in this thread:
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41003&page=2

#25 ·
Does anyone have a source for fuel pump re-build kits? I have an Edelbrock #1721 and an AC Delco #4346. I’m running the Edelbrock because I could not find a re-build kit for the AC. Now, I need to re-build one or the other to put on the car to stop this oil leak.

The two pumps are nearly identical street high performance 6 valve, 110 gph, 6 psi, long screw pumps. Rebuilding them used to be a common practice but the parts houses have stopped carrying the kits, throw-away culture.

YOUNG57

#27 · (Edited)
Depending on..

would like help on finding a kit for installing a turbo charger 355 cid p/s p/b T10 4 spd 373 posi. the car is a 1956 2 door hard top belair. Thank's alot Paul Noel
your fab skills, there are systems being made using shorty headers flipped around, and modified for the turbo to mount on the end . Single or twin.
Some are using split flange mounts for the newer turbo designs.
The pass side is usually where the turbo is mtd. The dr side has a cross over made to feed into the turbo base. If you keep the boost down, the use of an intercooler can be avoided. [Especially with some alky injection.]

Here's 2 pics. One of a LS engine w/ a custom turbo header installed. The other, Mustang headers w/ LS flanges on them. A SBC header could be used the same way...

Some guys are using the cheaper E-bay headers... The jury is still out on their lifespan, but the price is certainly right!

Attachments

#29 ·
Multiple choices

Its early and I have time to decide. Heres my choices: I have a good already built 468 with a really choppy cam and I have everything fuel injected from a 96 Tahoe including the serpentine setup minus the ECM. So that said I think I will need some ECM that can be tuned, as Im not sure how a stock ECM would accomodate a way off stock setup (but I see those Bully dog plug-ins that allow mods to existing fuel and ignition curves). I also see holley sells a ECM that is plug and play and it learns what your motor wants ($950). BUT I have NO experiance here. Note however I installed A mass airflow TPI 283 in my S-10 made my own wiring harness and did all the fab work and use a iroc computer.

Second scenario is build a 406 SBC with aluminum heads and the holley stealth ram that I have (58 mm throttle). I have the 1227730 GM ECM and the Hypertech 121322 Prom. Buy or build a wiring harness for Speed density. But is this a good choice of computer or should I spring for a ECM a little more updated?

Iknow the how the SBC fits and I get various opinions on how the BBC fits. I havent hacked ony of the rest of the car and aint chopping on the firewall. But look at those whopper ports on that 4BM 468. So much potential power.

#30 ·

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
I need a fuel pump, push rod, and mount plate to use a mechanical fuel pump on my GM Performance 350HO engine.
Are all sbc fuel pumps, pushrods and mount the same? Is there anything I need to know or do you have any recommendations?
Thanks

http://www.trifive.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=59786&stc=1&d=1343526763
Should be able to use the pushrod and the plate and from just about any earlier model sbc, also remember that you need a short bolt to plug the front motor mount upper hole next to the harmonic balancer on the passenger side that hole goes through to the bore for the fuel pump rod.
Use a long bolt ( finger tight only) to hold the fuel pump rod in place while you mount the pump, just dont forget to remove it and put the short bolt in that acts as a plug before you rotate the engine.

Regards, Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.