Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General question for all. I'm loading in a new fuel tank in the wagon to correct my fuel issues. So here is the debate. In general does the tank look better left in its natural zinc coated gray look or do most of our tri-five brothers paint them before putting them up. I need to decide ASAP so I can get the car on the road again this weekend. ThanX for the opinions

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
Changing the appearance is a matter of taste.

But the zinc/terne plate that the repro gas tanks have is very durable. I have one on a Nova that's a dozen years old and the appearance is pretty much the same as the day I installed it. So if the appearance suits you, keep it, it will last.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I put in a new tank last year,i had a rattle can of clearcoat from eastwood laying around and used it on the tank, myself i didnt like the idea of paint on mine. rick

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
If you paint it, you need to ground the tank or the sending unit. Paint isn't a very good ground conductor. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like the decision is leave it raw with maybe a hint of clear spray if i have it laying around. thanks for the quick feedback and nhramike57 your car is sick, loving the look.:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts