Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if you guys that are running fuel injection have any feedback on the fuel tanks that are available for fuel injection. I have a modified tank with a return line but I had to eliminate the fuel gauge sending unit. As I get my injected 210 ready for the road I wanted to know if you all had any feedback ( good or bad ) on the tanks that are available because the ones I have found seem to be pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was curious if you guys that are running fuel injection have any feedback on the fuel tanks that are available for fuel injection. I have a modified tank with a return line but I had to eliminate the fuel gauge sending unit. As I get my injected 210 ready for the road I wanted to know if you all had any feedback ( good or bad ) on the tanks that are available because the ones I have found seem to be pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance for your input.
I've been wondering about this too.

·
12,256 Posts
Try building one and you'll find out why they're expensive. The pump unit alone is $225 or so. I built my own stainless 23 gallon tank and it cost me around $400 for materials alone.

There are a lot of recent threads on this subject....try a search. ;)

·
Registered
36,118 Posts
I have a Rock Valley tank for mine and it's a very nice piece.

Rick's Hot Rod in El Paso is another source for a similar tank.

I know some won't want to spend the kind of money those guys get.

Lower cost alternatives which convert stock repro tanks are available from Rock Valley and from Tanks Inc.

With your stock tank conversion, you don't have to lose the gauge sender. Moroso makes a fitting to go on your filler neck for the return line.

The problem with a very simple return line installation is that you have no baffling and pretty much can't run the tank below a quarter full, maybe even half. The reason for this is that if you ever uncover the fuel pickup the engine will miss right now, you don't have the same reserve that's in a carb float bowl. This applies especially to stock tanks and external pumps, unless you sump and baffle.

·
Premium Member
13,468 Posts
I have the standard tanks ink efi tank with the 255 walbro pump and it seems to work great . the gauge sender was extra but it is a stock replacement and worked great . . price was fair enough . John :rolleyes:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks!

Thanks for the information about the alternatives for a fuel tank. I really didn't want to drop a grand for a fuel tank as I plan to drive my injected 210 back and forth to work. I'm in the home stretch now putting down sound deadener and insulation as I get ready for the side glass and then an interior. I had noticed the car would shut off once in a while so I guess that was the fuel sloshing away from my in tank pick up. It would always restart, I guess after the fuel was back around the pick up. Thanks for everyone's input, incredible I must say.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Here is my nickle....Most guys probably think I am nuts, but I gotta tell ya......IMHO unless you plan to be road or drag racing all the time with low fuel levels, an expensive baffled tank is not necessary..!! I have an LS1, 4l65e, 57 chevy that I have put over 14,000 miles on in the last 2 summers and had it briefly stumble one time. That was when I was down to about 2 gallons in my basically stock unbaffled tank and under full WOT accelerating on a freeway entry ramp. I don't baby it either....I have 370 rwhp on the dyno and use all of 'em regularly..!!

BTW....I have about $300 in the tank, external walbro 255, vette regulator/filter and misc fittings. I welded 2 stock tanks together to expand capacity to about 20 gallons, had the tank properly sealed, used a stock 57 chevy 3/8 pickup/sending assembly (added a return line to it) and have had zero problems driving from coast to coast.!!

Call me cheap if ya will, but I simply struggle with spending huge dollars unnecessarily.

I prefer to put my money in the tank at the filling station! Okay... you racing purists can let me have it now..!!! LOL

Later DK

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Rock Valley Tank

I also have a Rock Valley Tank for mine. Car not running yet but tank appears to be well built .:happy0030:

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I have a stock tank in the wagon and have no problems with the unbaffled tank. See my picture trail site for what I have done, good day.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I used to have EFI on my car, and had no trouble using the stock tank. You can upgrade the tank pickup with the one with the 3/8 line that came in the dual quad factory cars. They're readily available. Like they said if the tank runs low the engine may stall. I didn't find it to be a problem to keep the tank with enough fuel in it.

If you need a return line, I put a brass T fitting in the rubber 'vent hose' that runs parallel to the filler tube. I am not sure the exact name of the vent hose but you cant miss it when you look under there. Just plumb your return line back into that brass T, and it works great only costs a few bucks no need to drop your tank or anything,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts