Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny.....how i don't see... hei distributors in many of these 55-7 s. Is there any particular reason other that a "perfect resto" Who could possibly want to use one??? j/c

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
??? Coil in cap large body HEI's won't fit in "most" tri-5s, because of firewall clearance.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
??? Coil in cap large body HEI's won't fit in "most" tri-5s, because of firewall clearance.

So i am thinking an increase in engine movement 1" forward,will clear the HEI... i believe without notching the
f/wall..

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I tried using the hei that came with the crate engine i installed in my 55. Because i was using the stock style front engine mounts the hei would not clear the fire wall. So i went with the drop in ready to run small cap MSD, problem solved and no ignition box required.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Hey guys, I'm running a Mallory HEI Distributor on my BB in my 55 Chevy similar to this one at this Summit Racing Link...fits in there fine...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-06-0041

and this isn't the best picture, but here's mine tucked back in there, just got to get the smaller diameter distributor, they make'em... no problem.. BDR...:cool:

Not much better, but you can see the ignition box and coil in this one. And as you can see, it's a tight fit, but this particular Mallory distributor fits behind a tunnel ram..

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, I'm running a Mallory HEI Distributor on my BB in my 55 Chevy similar to this one at this Summit Racing Link...fits in there fine...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-06-0041

and this isn't the best picture, but here's mine tucked back in there, just got to get the smaller diameter distributor, they make'em... no problem.. BDR...:cool:

Not much better, but you can see the ignition box and coil in this one. And as you can see, it's a tight fit, but this particular Mallory distributor fits behind a tunnel ram..

Those mallory dis; are pretty hi_dollar...so.....i have to work in an HEI .it can be done without butchering up the firewall. Any comments gratefully accepted. My other kars were all higher dollar .... than this 55, is going to be, I'm building it like i would have....had i had one .Dumb brother annialated 301 in his 56. He didn't no which way is up anyway and still don't thanks for the help ....anyone else :tu bob s

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I was running a GM large cap HEI for a lot of years, it fit but it was tight. A couple of months ago I did put in a msd RTR and and a coil. Lot more room now, :)

·
Registered
Auckland, New Zealand
7,801 Posts
I was also able to fit a large cap HEI in my '56 which was powered by a 350 crate engine. The only modification was that I had to cut off the rear cap attaching clip, and so it was only held on by the 2 clips, and it worked perfectly fine for 10 years before I sold the car.

·
Premium Member
15,902 Posts
Moving the engine forward so you can use the large diameter HEI you have is going to cause a host of other issues that will cost more to overcome than a small diameter HEI will cost. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
One other option is to use the Pertronix ignition module rather than going with a new small body electronic ignition distributor unless you need the true HEI system for your engine.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/default.aspx

They fit in your existing distributor replacing the old points system. A lot of 'restored' stock appearing tri-fives and other makes use them. Fairly simple to install also.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
I remember we had a thread on the Petronix distributor a while back and everyone seemed to be really pleased with them.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember we had a thread on the Petronix distributor a while back and everyone seemed to be really pleased with them.
Yes! this point replacement igniter~~~~ lets you use the stock cap.Now ....another question? i have a dis; cap that lines up all the wires so as to have none of your sbc apark plug wires, cross over each other anywhere . I have one on my 32 cpe ..This is an HEI with the "crossfire cap" installed on it.Anyone. know if they make the smaller "stock distributor" cap,.... with the wires all lined up, like the HEI "crossfire cap"?.My 32 cpe has been done 24-5 year and never had any problems .:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Truer words were never spoken.

Moving the engine forward so you can use the large diameter HEI you have is going to cause a host of other issues that will cost more to overcome than a small diameter HEI will cost. :anim_25:
Ain't that the truth.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ain't that the truth.

Wheres your "hottrod "in genuity big block!!.i.ve found ways of getting what needed done..............and to work properly......No cobbeling up things, in my garage manual. ! So this be another time. i'll report back to those interested how i did it, then again......maybe i have found to big a mountain to climb......naaahhh i don't think so. thanks for the help all:shakehands::bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
To each his own..

Wheres your "hottrod "in genuity big block!!.i.ve found ways of getting what needed done..............and to work properly......No cobbeling up things, in my garage manual. ! So this be another time. i'll report back to those interested how i did it, then again......maybe i have found to big a mountain to climb......naaahhh i don't think so. thanks for the help all:shakehands::bowtieb:
Hey, we do what we think needs to be done. I'm all for improvements, but a large diameter GM HEI doesn't put out one volt or one amp more spark energy than points and a coil. It's just "transistorized" with a magnetic pickup, all in one unit.

From memory, and it's been a while, moving the engine forward caused issues to some degree in these areas:
throttle linkage
clutch linkage
exhaust position
driveshaft length
fan blade to radiator clearance.

I just don't see the point in all those headaches for the same performance I can get with a common size distributor, from half a dozen suppliers.

We are all free to build our cars as we see fit. I'm just not one to put effort into what I see as no gain. :shakehands:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Moving the engine forward...why? Besides numerable installation problems it will also put additional weight forward over the front wheels causing handling/weight transfer problems...something tri-fives have a bit of a problem with initially what with the body roll and sway when in curves unless some suspension work is done to alleviate it to some degree.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey, we do what we think needs to be done. I'm all for improvements, but a large diameter GM HEI doesn't put out one volt or one amp more spark energy than points and a coil. It's just "transistorized" with a magnetic pickup, all in one unit.

From memory, and it's been a while, moving the engine forward caused issues to some degree in these areas:
throttle linkage
clutch linkage
exhaust position
driveshaft length
fan blade to radiator clearance.

I just don't see the point in all those headaches for the same performance I can get with a common size distributor, from half a dozen suppliers.

We are all free to build our cars as we see fit. I'm just not one to put effort into what I see as no gain. :shakehands:

All 7 things you mention are a piece of cake,but if one doesn;t know how to do this. [1flexible throttle cable~~~ 2[hydraulic clutch or cut as needed 3[building my own exh; No problem,and an[4 electic fan one side or the other should handle that

Far as 1 volt of anything that matters not to me as i just want to build a Slicked our pavement pounder...as all my kars are comfort in driving riding handling all are a given .
its abit sad that some guys call 5-7s street rods i hear that alot here where i am at .tHEY ARE NOT street rods they are gassers boulevard cruisers or just plane old stoccc ...see! i can't even spell stock right. Never enters my head ,They are or can be boring bumping along on stock underpinnings'' But as you say "To each his own"

Street rods take a whole different kind of " Kar builder" to add flare to 5,6 or 7 chevies, I can do that . Once in awhile guys, that BUY everything, are missing a great trip. Especially when you get your kar, built and you "fire it for the first time ..drive it . get back, and you can't wipe the smile off your face! try it as they say you"ll like it m/o bob s

ps i've done it 24 times , but the last time was 10 years ago, so things get forgotten in the past that were common knowledge years before. i built bunch bikes BSA triumph cushmans. mustang bikes been a great life,
:tu:shakehands:

forgot drive shafts...i have log of these

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Yes! this point replacement igniter~~~~ lets you use the stock cap.Now ....another question? i have a dis; cap that lines up all the wires so as to have none of your sbc apark plug wires, cross over each other anywhere . I have one on my 32 cpe ..This is an HEI with the "crossfire cap" installed on it.Anyone. know if they make the smaller "stock distributor" cap,.... with the wires all lined up, like the HEI "crossfire cap"?.My 32 cpe has been done 24-5 year and never had any problems .:bowtieb:
I think several companies have tried it but because the terminals are so close together, they weren't reliable. They sure look a lot better.
As far as HEI goes, the coil makes an HEI, NOT the distributor. GM coined the term "HEI" with the coil in cap distributor and used male terminals for the spark plug wires. Often a distributor is referred to as HEI simply because it has male wire connectors. With a stock coil, no distributor will be "HIGH Output". The coil CAN put out much higher voltage with a electronic distributor than with points. If you use a high voltage coil with a points distributor, the points wouldn't last all day. AND the voltage of a true HEI is a lot higher. Take a plug wire off an HEI and see how far it will jump compared to a stock coil system.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts