Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving my new '57 150 (LS3 power) from the builder in Rancho Cordova, CA back home (about 125 miles, 1,500 on the car) About 45 miles into the trip my fuel line blew off the fuel rail. It had a press on AN fitting with a plastic clip. I have since been told ONLY use the all metal fitting on high pressure lines. My wife was behind me & could smell the gas, it scared the crap out of me. I also learned that AAA will not tow a nice classic car because they don't want to accept the responsibility so I now have Hagerty towing.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yesterday I was driving my new '57 150 (LS3 power) from the builder in Rancho Cordova, CA back home (about 125 miles, 1,500 on the car) About 45 miles into the trip my fuel line blew off the fuel rail. It had a press on AN fitting with a plastic clip. I have since been told ONLY use the all metal fitting on high pressure lines. My wife was behind me & could smell the gas, it scared the crap out of me. I also learned that AAA will not tow a nice classic car because they don't want to accept the responsibility so I now have Hagerty towing.
I guess AAA towing dont want to make any money. :anim_25: Hope all is well with your 57.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Its a known problem with the Russell AN fuel rail fittings. I quit using them 3-4 yeas ago. They have an improved version the screws together to positively lock them. The fitting part numbers are 644120 (Summit #RUS644120) for the 3/8 pressure side and 644110 (Summit #RUS644110) for the 5/16 return line.

The main problem with plastic clip ones is they don't get pushed on all the way and vibrate lose.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,768 Posts
Definitely scary when gas is spewing all over a hot engine! I hope the builder will reimburse you for the repair and the tow.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
I can understand your fear....lost a 67 Malibue when fuel filter came apart and caught fire....totaled......:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
thanks for info, sounds like you were lucky. :tu
p.s. have had no problem using AAA for mine (more then once :damnmate:).

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
The fitting part numbers are 644120 (Summit #RUS644120) for the 3/8 pressure side and 644110 (Summit #RUS644110) for the 5/16 return line.
Do the "improved" fittings install on the fuel rail pipes the same way as the old push on Russell fittings? I.e., are they a direct change out?

I notice they also have them in black too. 644123 and 644113 are the p/n's.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
My observation fwiw is an incomplete union of the two units. It takes some force to pass the engagement tang in the fitting. Having said that I am using the new design with no issues.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Do the "improved" fittings install on the fuel rail pipes the same way as the old push on Russell fittings? I.e., are they a direct change out?

I notice they also have them in black too. 644123 and 644113 are the p/n's.
Yes, they push on but use a threaded backing plate to lock them in to the rail and have the AN fitting. And they come in black as you have seen.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
My observation fwiw is an incomplete union of the two units. It takes some force to pass the engagement tang in the fitting. Having said that I am using the new design with no issues.
That's the thing you don't put it on right and it could vibrate lose. So I agree its an install issue as well. The ones I had used before, I ended up just safety wiring the hose to the rail just to be safe. Doesn't look pretty but gave me piece of mind till the newer ones came out.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
I saw and understood how the fitting is made on the Summit website.

Looks like the right deal to me.

I had a time getting the factory fittings off the fuel rail. You don't hear about problems with them. I guess they are more precise than the aftermarket stuff. Too tight, it won't go on. Too loose, it falls off. The locking nut looks like a good idea. One it gives you a margin of safety. Two if the nut doesn't screw on all the way you know the fitting isn't on the tube all the way.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
I saw and understood how the fitting is made on the Summit website.

Looks like the right deal to me.

I had a time getting the factory fittings off the fuel rail. You don't hear about problems with them. I guess they are more precise than the aftermarket stuff. Too tight, it won't go on. Too loose, it falls off. The locking nut looks like a good idea. One it gives you a margin of safety. Two if the nut doesn't screw on all the way you know the fitting isn't on the tube all the way.
The OEM ones have alot of metal fingers inside them and if the removal tool isn't good qulity they are hard to get off. I ended up getting a removal tool set off the MAC tool truck vs the elcheapo I was using night and day difference.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I will be plumbing my LS very soon and really want to know about stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Really? I've had my '57 towed twice through AAA, they insisted on a flat bed to boot. ??????

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I don't think it was an install issue, I have been driving the car since March putting on over 1,500 miles. I would think it would have come off sooner if it wasn't installed right. This seems to be a large problem with these fittings at least back to 2006. AAA did tow the car off the freeway then the driver told me AAA would not pay him for towing it. He also told me about a Ferrari they would not tow. All I know is I'm dropping them.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Since the plastic part failed I have talked to more people that are just finding out about this problem. My suggestion is if you have the stock part on your LS fuel line change it now to the metal one. Also my AAA office told me they have had many other complaints from others that they would not tow.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Since the plastic part failed I have talked to more people that are just finding out about this problem. My suggestion is if you have the stock part on your LS fuel line change it now to the metal one.
The is the aftermarket issue with that brand of adapter fitting. The stock GM line which I have used in a swap is perfectly fine it has metal clips.

The answer is to buy the updated ones listed here and swap them out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry, I thought the plastic one was the stock one. I do know if I ever own another LS I'll use the metal fittings.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
The stock fitting is plastic with a metal clip. It's crimped on the stock nylon fuel line. Not really adaptable for swap use unless you have a way to terminate a fitting on the other end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts