Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am very unorganized in my garage. It looks like a meteorite hit it. I need some cabinets for a bench and I am also looking for a way to organize all my nuts and bolts by size/thread. Any suggestions for these two problems?

It's just getting out of hand and I'm gonna end up on the show "Hoarders" if I don't get organized!!!

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
local auctions are a great place to find used bolt bins and benches. I put up shelves along the walls close to the ceiling that I put parts and stuff I don't use that often to free up space. hope this helps, everybody who works on cars has the same problems:sign0020:

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I know what you mean. I can't walk without tripping over something? If you figure it out let me know...lol. I should peg board one whole wall.
Josh

·
Registered
738 Posts
Goodness me I wish I had the patience, I get it all tidy and then when I get on one - it all goes to the wall, I have 2 workshops now 1 for the chevy where little work gets done and it is always tidy and one for the land rover which is full of mud, engines, oil and bits of crap that may be useful one day - this system works well enough for me, although I am planning a 3rd shop next year, hopefully a bit bigger with some organisation -- and less mud !

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a line of equipment against the paint booth wall, so I installed some cabinets above them for additional storage, in what would have been otherwise wasted space.

Even made some dividers on one of the shelves for sorting sandpaper..

Of course, auctions are good sources for vintage storage cabinets, this one here cost me all of $5 plus tax and fees.....

Here are more auction specials, at $20 per section I have about 120 in the set.

For auctions in your local area, try www.auctionzip.com

They have a mile radius feature that you can search around your zip code to find any local auctions.

Those nut and bolt drawers are perfect! I need to find something like that.

·
Premium Member
50,790 Posts
We built full length floor to ceiling shelves all the way down one wall and spot shelves down the other. Then I turned my daughter and grand daughters loose on the garage. Fantastic job organizing.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,423 Posts
I've found the secret to keeping your workbenchs clean and orgianized. Pull them away from the wall 6 or 8 inches. When you start a new project, push all the old projects off the back of the bench to be forgotten forever. :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
My step-son and I were in my shop a couple of weeks ago talking about organizing. He said they make a machine that you can pour a bucket of change into. It will sort out all the coins and stack all the quarters, dimes, nickels, etc.

He said someone needs to invent one where you can pour in all your bolts, nuts and screws, etc. Then the machine should sort it all out by size and type and place it in storage bins. If you hear of one like that, let me know.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not sure how mant items you have, but I use old glass baby food bottles (Gerber). Once you take the label off you can see what you have in them. Break down into washers, screws, nuts, bolts, etc.
John F

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My garage is in need of some spring cleaning also Mike... Its just a matter of me getting out there and doing it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
organization

I've done that !!!!!! lol
I've found the secret to keeping your workbenchs clean and orgianized. Pull them away from the wall 6 or 8 inches. When you start a new project, push all the old projects off the back of the bench to be forgotten forever. :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
I finally did something about my cramped, messy garage last Spring. Since I do a lot of detailing, I really needed better lights. So I insulated the ceiling with rigid foam insulation with a reflective foil cover. That looked so good I had to do something about cabinets and storage.

Not everyone can find a `50's carburetor bench, but it makes a great workbench and storage area for all my detailing supplies on both ends (did I mention I do a lot of detailing?) and storage for general cleaning supplies, motor oil, antifreeze, etc in the lower section. Then I bought the wood-grain cabinets (closeout at Lowe's) and built shelves above those.

More cabinets along the south wall. I also mounted a 24 hole bolt bin to the wall under the window.

Even with a small garage, storage cabinets can be arranged to maximize the space and hide a lot of clutter.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I'm in the beginning stages of re-organizing my garage, it's kind of hard with a 16 yr old that keeps messing it up. But I built floor to ceiling (almost) front to back cabinets with storage for long stuff on top along one wall of my garage. I designed them around see through plastic boxes w/ interlocking tops. I organized them in to categories, ie Plumbing, Electrical, Boat Parts, Motorcycle Parts, ect, ect, ect. I Made lists of what's in each box so that when I need something I look at my lists and I know what I have and where it is. This has worked well for some time but the lists don't always get updated so sometimes the stuff is not there when I go to get it. I have recently decided to throw away all of my car magazines from 1990 to 2009 and only keep the ones that have a special meaning or info I really want to keep. Every January I'm going to toss the previous years magazines and start over. Come to think of it I may even discard the 1980's when I get to those years.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts