Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, so I ran out of gas last night...again!! I guess it's time to try and fix the gauge again. I put a new sending unit in last year nd thought that would do it, but it still doesn't work. When I turn on the ignition, the gauge jumps up to full and remains there no matter how much gas is in the tank. Do you think I have a problem with the new sending unit or is it more likely that the gauge itself is the culprit?

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
The problem is in the wire from the gauge to the tank or the tank itself is not grounded well. Take a piece of wire, hook it to the tank side of the gauge and run it to the sending unit on the tank. I usually run it out the door and under the car to the sender. I think you will find it works then. If the original wire is broken somewhere, the gauge will do exactly what you see now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike. I appreciate knowing its probably a ground problem. I've gotten a couple good suggestions on how to fix the problem. I'm eager to get at it!
Eli in Minnesota

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gene. I just visited your store's web site. I wish I lived closer to you! Thanks for the good idea on how to correct my gas gauge problem. It sounds like a pretty easy fix. I have a friend with a '57 chevy and he has the same symtoms. I'm going to dazzle him now with my "expertise" on electrical systems! Thanks for making me a genius!
Eli in Minnesota

1 - 9 of 9 Posts