Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new, old '57 owner. I owned one as my first car, when in high school and now, finally, I own another! Anyway, my guage was working, even though not correctly. After my last fill up, it went to empty and hasn't moved since. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but thought someone may have a good idea where to start.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Could be a couple things.

1. The float on the sending unit could have A. fallen off or B. filled with fuel and is sinking to the bottom aka 'empty'

2. The wire from the gauge to the tank is grounded.

Have you done anything that may have envolved screwing something down or clamping something down? that might have pinched the wire to the tank from the gauge?
A quick test would be to take the wire off the sending unit at the tank and see if it goes to full. If it does, the problem is in the sending unit in the tank.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I've been looking over mine as I need to remove it before setting the body back on and found that it has a drain plug in it. With the spring repositioning kit you have to move the fuel tank in a little I guess and the out side of the spare tire well has to be moved in also to clear the shackles. I was surprised to see the drain plug though.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
grapette1 said:
Thanks, going to try the wire first, am not looking forward to dropping the tank.
You will not have to drop the tank to get to the sending unit, just make sure it is less than 1/2 full. I purchased a brand new sending unit still in the sealed box. The float had a small hole in it where the wire arm wraps around the float. The arm had a burr on it which punched a hole in it when snapped together. Just my .02

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts