Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the gas tank in my '55 Belair but there is a leak where the sending unit is. I have replaced the gasket and oriented it correctly but it still leaks. Is it possible to have a leak around the screw threads? If that's the case, what's the solution?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same problem, ended up pulling everything out and used a new gasket and sealant around the gasket and screws. Mine was weeping around the screws. Seems to have solved the problem. I used seal-all, but there is some others out there, it's just all I could find here at home.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I used permatex #2 on the threads and it worked great.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The replament senders don't have the copper washers for the screws, these stop the thread leaks.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I second the cork gasket the rubber ones that come with the new tank are useless. I spent a year trying to get that crappy thing to seal to no avail. odered the cork on from a tri five member and no leak since!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Cork gasket and copper washers under the screws solved my leaking problems when I installed my new tank and sending unit.
This site provided the needed solution...A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU TRI-FIVE GUYS that have solved problems for me and others:tu:D

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I had the same problem with the junk restoration gasket. A friend of mine that is a retired HD truck mechanic took one look at my sender and sent me to the local IHC truck dealer. That style sender was used on trucks long after the 50s, the guy behind the counter took one look at it and asked how many I wanted.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Got the '55 back from the upholstery shop a couple of weeks ago and decided to put more than a few gallons of gas in since now I can enjoy driving the car with the new interior! Sure enough, I have a leak. My tank and sending unit are new last fall and I used a cork gasket and new screws with the copper washers. I didn't use any sealant on the gasket and used teflon tape on the threads of the screws. I was thinking that my next step should be to pull the screws one at a time and use some sealant this time instead of the tape. It seems that the leakage is from the screws and not the gasket. So, can I just use the black Permatex or what would be the best sealant that won't be affected by the gas?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts
Cork gasket, #2 Permatex, and copper washers

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Who sells the Screws with copper washers and who sells the Cork Gasket..Gonna have to replace my Gas tank so might as well get the right parts now!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Danchuk. the item number for the screws is in the pic (above)

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts
Who sells the Screws with copper washers and who sells the Cork Gasket..Gonna have to replace my Gas tank so might as well get the right parts now!
there is a gentleman that has the connection for the rubberized cork gaskets for the sending unit,,if needed. if you do replace the gasket I would highly reccomend the rubberized cork.

His name is Greg Coleman and his email is [email protected] $6 per gasket and that included shipping at the time.

·
Registered
817 Posts
there is a gentleman that has the connection for the rubberized cork gaskets for the sending unit,,if needed. if you do replace the gasket I would highly reccomend the rubberized cork.

His name is Greg Coleman and his email is [email protected] $6 per gasket and that included shipping at the time.
this is the guy I ordered mine through and he sent it out quickly great guy to deal with and if you email him he does accept paypal.

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
If you want, you can make your own gasket. I bought a roll of cork gasket material from O`reillys and made my own gasket. I also eliminated the clutch head screws and went with allen head screws instead, with no sealer on the threads. No leaks since that.
Terry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No Leaks!

O.K. The leak is fixed. I installed a new sending unit, cork gasket with #2 permatex sealer, and new clutch-head screws with copper washers and permatex thread sealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts