Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda started looking at gas tanks for the 57, although I don't need one just yet.

I know prices are all over the place, such as $200 plus for stainless, down to very inexpensive 'zinc' coated I've seen on ebay.

Any opinions on the inexpensive ones as far as quality? Would you buy one or have you bought and used one, etc.

I usually believe that you get what you pay for.

·
12,256 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a new one unless it was stainless. It's not so much the outside that I'd be concerned about, it's internal rust. The stainless tanks aren't that expensive, and are good insurance.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Agree with Laszlo, mine is a stainless repop of the original. Just over $200 from tanksinc.com.
Josh

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree with Laszlo, mine is a stainless repop of the original. Just over $200 from tanksinc.com.
Josh
yea, thought that may be the case and I've been on their website along with several others. Do the straps usually have to be replaced? Have not done close-up on mine but they seem ok.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Sometimes they hold out but I just replaced mine. I think you can get them with the tank at tanksinc.
Josh

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I got mine from Ecklers, it is made in Canada and seems really good, no problems yet, been 3 years. I replaced my straps and filler pipes too.

68,758 Posts
I got mine from Ecklers, it is made in Canada and seems really good, no problems yet, been 3 years. I replaced my straps and filler pipes too.
you can get the gas tank kit. under $300 for everything, tank, straps, gas cap, sending unit, ect. :) ............www.classicchevy.com.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I don't know why a zinc plated tank won't hold up for a long time. The tanks are plated inside too.
Not knowing a whole lot about plating I suppose there could be a thinner, less expensive coating vs thicker, right?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
The next item that has to be addressed is the gasket for the sending unit. Please refer to other posts elsewhere in the site and spend $6 for the "correct" one that isn't prone t o leaking, or some of the posts that tell what owners used to prevent the leaks at the sending unit and tank.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
tank

i got one from oledays 55 - 57 chevy parts made in
canada very good tank fast shipping robert i think they are
a sponser on this site

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i got one from oledays made in canada very good tank fast shipping robert i think they are a sponser on this site
Not looking at one over the other but tanksinc has a special for 125, lead/tin and lead/nickel, no mention of gaskets or such.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=113/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat113.htm

oldedays is 159, nickel, with o ring and gasket.

http://shop.oldedaysclassiccarparts...8BE0ED34312EFC.qscstrfrnt06?keywords=gas+tank

now I have to ask??? lead, tin, nickel, etc.

Lucy, can you 'splane' (for you youngsters-that's I Love Lucy)

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Canadian tanks are Spectra Premium tanks and they are a large supplier of fuel tanks. I researched them before buying my tank and they are a top-notch company from what I can tell. We just put one of their tanks in our hunting vehicle ('93 Olds Bravada) and it is a very nice tank also.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems that shiiping costs are hard to find on some of these sites unless you go through checkout. Some are considered 'oversize' translates to extra $$$.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
"Not knowing a whole lot about plating I suppose there could be a thinner, less expensive coating vs thicker, right?"

Maybe so, but not as a practical matter. Virtually all of the tanks on the market are made by Spectra in Canada, and they are a good tank.

If your vehicle is garaged, the tank is going to last a long time. Especially if you put an additive in the fuel tank if you store over the winter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Not knowing a whole lot about plating I suppose there could be a thinner, less expensive coating vs thicker, right?"

Maybe so, but not as a practical matter. Virtually all of the tanks on the market are made by Spectra in Canada, and they are a good tank.

If your vehicle is garaged, the tank is going to last a long time. Especially if you put an additive in the fuel tank if you store over the winter.
It's garaged and I use stabil. My weather is probably pretty close to yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts