Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
7,082 Posts
I'll start guys. 69 here and remember 19 cent gas. I think, but would not swear to a gas war in Vernon, Tx of 11 cent gas. :bowtier:

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
1965 gas was 15 cents in Sugar Creek Mo and we didn't car about a big engine and a 456 rear end Those were the Days!!!:gba:

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
back in the 60's on long island, remember $.28. :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Back in the early seventies I had two five sevens, both driven but the 2 door sedan with the Muncie and a 327 was my daily driver. I would take them to the station on the weekend and fill them both.... it was less than $5.00 !!!! they weren't both empty of course but gas was about $0.23 a gallon . Yeah good times!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I remember gas was 27 cents a gallon and a packege of camels was 32 cents. My dad worked and my mom stayed at home and took care of the house and kids. Life was good. What happend?

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
"Gas Price Wars" (remember those??)

40 years ago when I was going to College in 1973, Gasoline prices were mostly in the 20 - 25 cent range.

However, I recall a couple filling stations just down the street from campus having a "Gas Price War" (remember those??) and the price got down as low as 17 cents per Gallon for about 6 months...:tu and you can bet us poor college kids loved it...:tu

I'll never forget how we'd dig for unspent change in, around or under seat cushions of old couches around our dorm in the lobby (or where ever)... then on the way to class, we'd pull into the station having the lowest price of 17 cents per Gallon (and most of you remember this is when they still had a "gas attendant"...) and here they'd come, up to my window and I'd say something like... "14 cents worth please"... (it would typically vary from 9 cents to 19 cents, dependent on whatever we scrounged up in change that morning..)

:rolleyes:...an man oh man, as much as he wanted to...:banghead: you could tell that guy did everything he could to keep from pull'n me an my buddy out of there and whip'n both our little scrawny as...errrrr... (well you know what I mean)...:sign0020: and looking back, I wouldn't have blamed him...:sign0020:

No sir, we'll never see the likes of that price at the pump ever again in our life time...:sad0049:

BDR...:cool:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
early 60's

worked at a chevron, that had "white Pump" gas.
had a 57 with a 327, 4 spd, I was hot sh!t
especially since the 327 just came out in passenger cars,
within a month of installing the 327, had installed headers, cam, high rise,
gas was 23-25 per gal, and I made $1.10 hr.

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
In Nebraska early 70's - 25 cents/gallon.
Dad and me pump a lot of America/AMOCO gas in the early 70's around that price. Until 73 oil crisis hit and end up putting us out of business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts