Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I am ready to install my new timing case cover. I will be using the FelPro blue gaskets. I've always used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket, it's the one I've always had in my garage, but I was wondering if the Permatex High-Tack is a better choice?

I also want to make sure that the timing cover is centered over the crank snout (oil pan is removed), is there a tool for that or should I just run up the balancer on the snout before tightening the cover bolts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
35,755 Posts
Just about anything will work on the timing cover gasket itself. You need to use Permatex RTV or the equivalent on the pan seal especially the corners.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,847 Posts
Ken...Honestly, I've never worried about the timing gear cover being centered on the crank snout with any engine build that I've done...(Maybe its something to think about though)...I'm thinking that crank seal with its spring will take care of any minute misalignment issues.

·
Registered
35,755 Posts
The stock and typical aftermarket timing covers have dowel pin holes that have a tight fit on the dowel pins in the block. There is really no opportunity to move the timing cover to center the crankshaft seal.

Even most of the high end pieces like the Jesel belt drive cover (which has a seal with a really thin cross section) don't have any provision for centering the seal on the crankshaft.

A couple of the high end gear drives (Milodon and Donovan) come with oversize dowel pin holes that have drill bushings in them. On those you move the cover around to get the recommended mesh of the gears, then you drill bigger holes for the dowel pins. Even then, there's no consideration for centering the seal.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! :flag6:

Well, guess what, after posting my question about timing cover alignment I opened up my Milodon timing cover package and these instructions fell out:

TIMING CHAIN COVER INSTALLATION: The dowel pin holes are intentionally enlarged to allow you the adjustment to properly center the cover on the balancer. The crank centerline to dowel pin relationships may vary due to align boring and initial machining variances from the factory. For proper installation and a leak free seal, mount the timing cover including gaskets, sealer and bolts only loose at this point. Install the balancer and allow the cover to find its center on the crankshaft / balancer. In this position tighten all bolts to final torque of 21 ft/lbs while
maintaining proper cover placement.
I guess I don't have a choice! :sign0020:

·
Premium Member
13,323 Posts
gasgacinch on the paper gasket and Permatex ultra black on the pan seal and corners

1 - 8 of 8 Posts