Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 56 210 that I have owned since the 80s, Time for a makeover. I want to go the gasser route. I have the one piece frame. I want to use my stock steering box, and cut my frame in front of the steering box holes. The frame has indents in the top center, and bottom outside corner of the rails. In the pictures I've seen the frames cut in front of the steering box holes do not have these indents. Is the one piece frame different and need to be cut back further? Thanks in advance John

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hello, I have a 56 210 that I have owned since the 80s, Time for a makeover. I want to go the gasser route. I have the one piece frame. I want to use my stock steering box, and cut my frame in front of the steering box holes. The frame has indents in the top center, and bottom outside corner of the rails. In the pictures I've seen the frames cut in front of the steering box holes do not have these indents. Is the one piece frame different and need to be cut back further? Thanks in advance John
I don't think so. The indents are where the bolts go for the box and idler.

Check 2looses page for details on how he did his. He used a different box and cut right by the dimples.

http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31254

I would think that someone here has done what you are talking about... the only problem I can see is that the stubs have to go inside some for strength so you may have to drill through the stubs inside the frame.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why do you feel that you need to cut the frame? It is possible to hang an axle on the stock frame. That way in the future, should you decide that you don't want the axle anymore, it can be put back stock. And you didn't violate a one piece frame. JMTC...

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
yes what str8axle said, that is what i'm doing with my car/one piece frame. four brackets is all it takes to install the tube axle, and four brackets is all that would have to be removed if/when i go back to the stock IFS. the car can be sorta like me, multiple personality !!!! LOL.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
OK, me 4th. 'Cause that's what I did. I was trying to answer the question at hand but this was much easier and I'm not racing it so I didn't necessarily need to lose the weight. I don't think that I will 'go back', but...

Here's a shot of mine.

Later,

Mike

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts