Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was "kinda" productive. I wanted to install my gauges in the dash since I can't afford one of the nicer "cluster" set-ups that are offered and I didn't really want to have them hanging below the dash so I ended up modifying my dash and dash trim to put them where I wanted them. I was surprised and a little PO'd when I realized the gauges were going to hit my ash-tray and heater controls:banghead:. This led to another modification which I didn't anticipate. I had to notch the ashtray and ashtray bracket (see photo). That was no big deal since no one will see it and there will never be any smoking in my car. The BIG deal became the heater controls. I had to fabricate some little off-set brackets to lower the control switch and then bend the control lever to fit the new position. Everything now fits nicely. Just one issue...I need to extend the switch lever about 1/2" so I can use it! Any ideas on extending it:questionmark: I see welding an extension and then grinding it smooth as my only option and welding is NOT my forte'. JIM.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
They may not be "high $" gauges, but they still look cool.
As for the lever, if you don't think you could weld it, you might try a heavy duty epoxy to add an extention on. That lever will get a workout though, welding would be my first choice.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switch

When you add a 1/2" to the switch arm,it will increase the "Throw".Will there be room for it to make left to right in the slot?
If you're over here sometime,bring it by and I can weld it or silver solder it for you.
Mike.:bowtieb::)
Mike I checked the movement of the lever and it should be fine. It moves freely from far right to far left positions. That was really nice of you to offer to weld it. Thanks So Much. I'll give it a shot myself first but I'm not very good with a welder on little stuff. JIM.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Not trying to sound like a smart @$$ but now you know why hanging them under the dash is so popular... Yours is a much cleaner setup though... Later, Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts